Citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
Brewing this up today. This is no sparge - no chill.

15.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
2.00 lb Vienna Malt
0.50 lb Carafoam
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 55L

1.50 oz Citra [11.10 %] (30 min) (First Wort Hop) 34.6 IBU
0.25 oz Citra [11.10 %] (60 min) 10.3 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [11.10 %] (20 min) 13.8 IBU
2.00 oz Citra [11.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days)

1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

OG- 1.062
IBU - 58.7
5.25 gallon batch

I'll chime back in when it's done.

Well, over shot my OG. Came to 1.074. So instead of S-04 I'll be using WLP007 Dry English Ale.

Thermometer went out so I don't know if I hit my desired rest temp or not. I know I was about 2 degrees above my strike temp before it went out. So I waited a couple minutes while stirring then doughed in.

Ran out of propane about 30 minutes into the boil, but I live very close to a home depot and got it back to boiling in less than 15 minutes.

Citra smells amazing. I threw in the 1.5 oz into FWH and it hits you like a ton of bricks.

All in all it sounds like a stressful brew day but it was probably one of the nicest ones I've had. Might have something to do with no sparge and no chill. :D

Hi, I've not heard of Citra hops before - have you used them before? Would you care to share your impressions and any info you have?

Hi, I've not heard of Citra hops before - have you used them before? Would you care to share your impressions and any info you have?

Nope, this is my first time using them. That's why it's the only hop in this recipe. It's a fairly new hop, Sierra Nevada used it as a dry hop in their Torpedo.

I'll definately chime in when this is done. Got the starter churning now.

Where did you track these hops down? I would love to get my hands on some for next summers IPA.

Chris, I don;t know if I have mentioned this to you lately, but I hate you. That IPA should be pretty damned good. I have been wanting some Citra hops. And Torpedo is one of my favorite new beers. We definitely have to get together for a brewday sometime soon!

Chris, I don;t know if I have mentioned this to you lately, but I hate you. That IPA should be pretty damned good. I have been wanting some Citra hops. And Torpedo is one of my favorite new beers. We definitely have to get together for a brewday sometime soon!

You just let me know, we just got a fresh shipment of citra at the shop. They smell sooooo good.

Any word on how this brew is going?

Took a sample of it last night. It's only down to 1.020 which had me worried and confused as I did 2000ml starter of WLP007 which can get up to 80% attenuation. I took it out of the fridge to let it warm up, swirled it a bit and put the cap on my cube on tight. This morning the cube had swelled up meaning the yeasties are still at work. *sigh of relief

Tasted really good. I'm gonna give it another week in the primary and I'll add the dry hops this weekend.

I am curious, too.

My Citra IPA used Safale S04. It's finished and just carbed. Oh my, it's a yummy one!

The Citra really is a different flavor, and this IPA stands out!

They are only available in leaf, all the way at the very bottom of the page

Ah, thanks!!! Ignore my post in your other thread...
I love hopsdirect, but their website is a bit funky sometimes; why put Citra at the end of an alphabetical list, for instance?

Mine needs to mellow a bit. Overwhelming grapefruit taste.

Another 3-4 weeks should mellow it perfectly.

i've taken a couple of samples. not too impressed with it right now. i'll try some tonight or tomorrow and report back.

boy, ya'll are just itchin' aren't ya.

:D

i've taken a couple of samples. not too impressed with it right now. i'll try some tonight or tomorrow and report back.

boy, ya'll are just itchin' aren't ya.

:D

Well I have a 1/2 pound of the stuff received via hop farmer directly. I am not sure what to do with the stuff.

I may have to make a pale/IPA and separate out a 1/2 gallon and dry hop in a growler to test it out.

I would say this recipe is definately not a keeper. The only thing I like about this beer is the aroma. Now I see why breweries are only using Citra late in the boil.

I wouldn't think twice about using Citra for dry hop. Wonderful aroma. Might just pour out several glasses and leave them around the house to freshen up the place.

I would say this recipe is definately not a keeper. The only thing I like about this beer is the aroma. Now I see why breweries are only using Citra late in the boil.

I wouldn't think twice about using Citra for dry hop. Wonderful aroma. Might just pour out several glasses and leave them around the house to freshen up the place.

That is sad to hear. have you tried mixing it with another beer to see what happens?

I did a sample of my batch before adding the dry hops link
and it was fantastic.

Maybe they need to be blended with other hops, thats how I look at Sorachi Ace hops.

I see a lot of people that want to make a Citra IPA because they like Torpedo, but don't seem to realize that Torpedo doesn't even use citra in the boil, and it only makes up a fraction of the dry hops. It actually seems to pretty heavy on Magnum.

I see a lot of people that want to make a Citra IPA because they like Torpedo,.

Never had a SN Torpedo I got them because they were a new-to-me and wanted to see if they would be worth adding to the list of go to hops.

Always like to try something new much like when simcoe/amarillo/Sorachi/saphir /ect first came out.

Never know till you try it yourself :mug:

Had that happen once. Ran out or propane during the last 10 minutes of a pumpkin ale I was brewing. Thankfully I had already added that last ingredients about 5 minutes before. Figured it was "good enough" and went from there. Turned out excellent too.

Hey, I have a bunch of Citra in the Freezer and Id like to copy your recipe but Im not sure what you mean when you say no Sparge and no chill?

Andy

Back