Brew number 1 in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
After a few weeks of research, reading, and surfing this site, I am glad to say my first batch is in the primary. I brewed it last night starting at lik 9:00. It was in the primary by 11:00 because I took forever sanitizing and triple checking.

I just went down to look, and I have bubble in the airlock, so it looks like my American Ale is on its way to fermentation.

This is a great forum and I hope to continue to learn more about this hobby.

I am going to start brew number 2 sometime this week since I am fairly sure I will rip right through the first batch.

The best part of yesterday's brew was talking to my neighbor. We have always been friendly, but he saw me out on th epatio brewing and told me that he brewed for years. We had a long conversation about it and he said he was going to check his storage for his old equipment. He wants to give me a bunch of his things since he is no longer involved in homebrewing. Score!

congrats!! now sit back and wait.. thats the part that i hate!

and remember always try to start brewing earlier.. i find that it takes forever.. the brew i did yesterday i did figure out that ive gotten a little faster at sanitizing and stuff.. brewed, cleaned up and all put away in about 4 hours

Ryan_PA said:
After a few weeks of research, reading, and surfing this site, I am glad to say my first batch is in the primary. I brewed it last night starting at lik 9:00. It was in the primary by 11:00 because I took forever sanitizing and triple checking.

I just went down to look, and I have bubble in the airlock, so it looks like my American Ale is on its way to fermentation.

This is a great forum and I hope to continue to learn more about this hobby.

9:00 to 11:00? That's quick, was it an extract? My first batch was an extract and it took me about the same time, sanitizing was most of it.
For my second batch I did a partial grain and it took 5 hrs between waiting for grains to steep and water to boil and so on. "But" it all went much easier than the first and I really enjoyed it so you can look forward to that.

Anyway it sounds like you did good, congrats. Now comes the wait and the checking of the fermenter every 5 minutes:D

I know the feeling of seeing that first bubble. Kind of like this...:ban:

Tommy

Oh hell, I made a typo. I started at 7:00 sanitized and prepped until 9:00, then brewed/cooled and transfered to the primary untill 11:00. Then pulled up a stool at the corner bar by 11:30.

I have checked the airlock like 7 times this morning. Waiting is going to suck, but I have enough equipment to start another brew, but I may need to pick up another 5 gal carboy for another seconday...we'll see.

07:00 to 11:00 for the whole thing doesn't sound that bad. I did my first brew yesterday too, and it took me more like eight hours from setup to cleanup. But 45 minutes of that time was spent resoldering the fittings on my homemade immersion wort chiller because I didn't trust one of the joints. It wasn't leaking, but I was paranoid. And then, I kinda slowed down when I got to the cleanup phase because of the quantity of Samuel Adam's Black Lager I'd been quaffing while I made my brew.

I just finished and kegged my first American Pale Ale. It is fabulous, and you shouldnt be dissapointed! Let us know how it turns out

Cheers

Back