Ok admit it, do you like drinking from the bottle better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bottle or glass

• Bottle

• Glass

• Not sayin!

Results are only viewable after voting.

TXCrash

Gunshy
Reaction score
When I started brewing I started kegging. I've never naturally carbed in my life.

Recently I bottled from the keg ala https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/ Force carbed for a week or two, turned the regulator down to 2 psi, bottled.

Ya know what - I prefered that beer to the same beer on tap. Now mind you, all I have is a picnic tap - but I think I've gotten pretty good at serving with what I've got. I can pour at 10 psi with as little or as much head as I'd like. I really dig drinking out of the bottle - always have, probably always will. Bonus is not having to find a blasted glass.

Of course.. that means I have to deal with bottling, but with force carbed beer I don't have to deal with sediment and I can bottle on MY schedule.

So admit it - do you like drinking from the bottle better?

Nope. Always prefer beer out of a glass. You can't put your nose in a bottle and get a good smell of what you're drinking, you can't note the clarity and color of the beer you're drinking in a bottle, and you don't get a nice foamy head in a bottle.

No contest.

Beer is better out of a glass, in every way.

ditto, No aroma, less flavor it seems, no creamy/frothy head. no visual delight. Not to mention the slight coppery taste of the bottle neck. I even pour my BMC Bottles into a glass.

you can't chug from a bottle without a straw, lighter, and a neat bar trick... wait... sorry, this is a serious thread..

I like a glass better for the aroma of the hop monsters, for the plain janes... either will do if it's force carbed...

If it's a natty carb.. glass only.

Nope. Always prefer beer out of a glass. You can't put your nose in a bottle and get a good smell of what you're drinking, you can't note the clarity and color of the beer you're drinking in a bottle, and you don't get a nice foamy head in a bottle.

No contest.

In full agreement on all points. The bottle is merely a package.

Have I slugged out of the bottle during rugby matches when no suitable cup/glass can be found? You bet your ass, I have.

I only like a few beers out of the bottle. Usually its BMC. There is something very refreshing about an ice cold Miller Lite or PBR straight from the bottle. I'll even enjoy a Great Lakes Elliot Ness out of the bottle from time to time. Other than that, it must be from a glass.

ditto, No aroma, less flavor it seems, no creamy/frothy head. no visual delight. Not to mention the slight coppery taste of the bottle neck. I even pour my BMC Bottles into a glass.

Occasionally, I've been out in the boat and had to drink my homebrew out of the bottle. I swear that my IPAs are way too bitter that way. It seems like I lose the flavor and aroma hops, and just get bitter as a result. Now, I definitely won't turn a beer down if there isn't a glass available, but I much prefer any beer in a glass.

*hangs head in beer snob shame.

I should add that I DO plan on getting some perlicks soon and seeing if that makes things better.

And in MY house, finding 24 22oz bottles that are sanitized ONCE is easier than finding a clean glass 24 times...

MY SAHM wife certainly aint martha stewart but I love her none the less...

Homebrew always a glass.

If I'm working around the house/garage drinking a commercial beer I'll drink it from the bottle. Less chance of incident.

So far this summer I have broken the "use a glass" a couple of times. More often than not when outdoors, I'll use a plastic glass, which probably would cause some of you to have serious convulsions.

One thing I've noticed is that beer from the bottles always has a more metallic taste. I don't know if it's from the cap or what, but I swear I'm not making it up.

I don't bottle HB anymore but, when outside doing whatever I won;t hesitate to drink a beer from the bottle.

I used to always get a glass but too often I was met by a fly in a swig. Blech! And even when I did have the presence of mind to cover the glass between libations, I'd lose my dang glass in a short term memory fog (hey, now why does that towel look so funny? Ohhhh yeah. There is beer under there). Beer in the bottle never seems to get "buggy" on me (lest it was brewed that way).

Matter of fact, this happened to me just this weekend. Grilling a Roast (slowly). Set my glass of Ryed Breakfast Stout down to baste the meat with a FD Porter, closed the lid and grabbed my glass. Took a gulp only to find a black fly tickling my tounge. Spit or swallow, spit or swallow?

Took a gulp only to find a black fly tickling my tounge. Spit or swallow, spit or swallow?

Uhh...

Anyway, I have come to prefer beer from a glass. But for most of my life I drank out of the bottle. I used to love it when Coke would release their glass bottles. It just tasted so much better that way.
I've never really liked anything out of the can.
But if I'm out camping or 4wheeling, it's bottles only.
I did buy a drinking horn recently. And I have some glazed earthenware mugs, too.
Aww, screw it. I just like beer, regardless of the drinking vessel of the moment.

And in MY house, finding 24 22oz bottles that are sanitized ONCE is easier than finding a clean glass 24 times...
Prerequisite to getting another beer is cleaning the previous glass and letting it drip dry. I have several dedicated beer glasses so there is always a clean, chilled glass in the fridge.

Getting the kegs, CO2 cylinder, taps/faucets, fridge/freezer, controller, etc. are all part of the recommended equipment to keg. A nice supply of good beer glasses is also recommended equipment imo.:)

When drinking outside from a glass I typically look before I sip. I've reached in on more than one occasion and removed a bug from the glass so I didn't have to add any more protein to my diet.

I definitely prefer it out of a glass.

The only person I've ever met who prefers it from the bottle is my girlfriend's dad.

Definitely a glass. Like others, I won't turn a beer down just because it is not in my preferred drinking vessel, but I do prefer a glass. With bottles, you get no aroma, and you don't get to visibly enjoy the beverage you are drinking. That may seem trivial, but we as humans enjoy our food and drink with all of our senses whether we realize it or not. Which makes your mouth water more?:

beer.jpg

Fat_tire.jpg

On top of that, many beers, including everything from AB, and PBR, purposely over carbonate their bottled beer because they intend for you to pour the beer in a glass, thus releasing some of the carbonation.

Spit or swallow, spit or swallow?

Oh, come on!!!

Almost two hours and no, "That's what she said?" I'm just disappoint at the level of maturity this forum has risen to.

I almost always use a glass. If I'm outside working, and it's a commercial brew, I'll leave it in the bottle for the reasons pointed out above. Also, a bottle is a little slower to loose its contents when accidentally tipped.

can't see the bugs in the bottle. pour in a glass and taste/smell/see all the beautiful goodness and avoid eating bugs.

other than BMC. who the hell cares about that. bugs would probably help though.

If finding a glass is a problem in your house, then you need to reevaluate your priorities vis a vis beer consumption.

I almost always use a glass. If I'm outside working, and it's a commercial brew, I'll leave it in the bottle for the reasons pointed out above. Also, a bottle is a little slower to loose its contents when accidentally tipped.

I have a beer cozey (SP?) that is actually filled with that blue freezer goo. It keeps your standard beer cold if you leave it sitting around and forget about it. That is awesome. Otherwise...bottles/cans are teh suck.

Glass. And the proper type on top of that. I bought 60 nonics so that even at the largest beer party I host, no one will wont for the entire beer experience.

Talk about snobbery, I won't drink beer out of a bottle or can. If I can't have my way, I'll drink water. I've been to many business type hospitality sessions where I've had Killians or SABL out of a wine glass.

I've drunk a few beers from cans in the last decade (mostly while cutting firewood), none from the bottle. Not saying I'd turn down a free beer because it was in a bottle, but I always have a mug or two in my van and truck, just in case.

I only like a few beers out of the bottle. Usually its BMC.

I would assume this is because out of the bottle you don't have to smell it.

I'm absolutely a snob when it comes to glassware. I get so many wierd looks from my friends when I'm over at their houses. They hand me a bottle of beer, and I ask for a glass to go with it. :mug:

I don't have a kegging setup (yet), so I bottle, but I still want to pour it into the right kind of glass. It's the smell and the color I want to experience.

Not even close. Out of a glass regardless of carbing method.

Even before I was a beer freak I preferred drinking out of a glass. Half of the experience comes from senses other than the tastebuds. None of which you experience drinking from the bottle.

Glass is the preference; out of the bottle is only done in times of war or other dire situations where a glass is not available/practical.

Latest posts

Back