Looking for some advice on my yeast problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sstought

Reaction score
I just spent all day last night making up two batches half batches of extract beer. Pale malt extract, variety of hops, some adjunct grains, so not just an out of a can beer, but not the most complicated beer either. Everything seemed to go well until this morning. I checked to see how much the beer had foamed up... and there's not a single bubble in the bottle, and nothing coming out of the air lock.

I bought a package of Activator British Ale Yeast, and it definitely puffed up when I activated it. However, I bought this off the internet and it was shipped with a cold pack, but I wasn't able to pick it up from the post office until 4 days after it arrived, and it was room temperature when I got it.

Here's my questions: Is my beer doomed? Do I just need to wait more? Can I get another package and pour that in after the first one? Is there anything I can do to save my beer?

Right now its sitting in the closet wrapped up in blankets with the airlocks firmly in. Should stay sterile for a while... but I really don't want to have to pitch it all after this much work.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks a lot!

Also, if you did half batches, did you put them in a 5 gal bucket? My last batch was only 4 gal when all was said and done and it took an extra day or so to bubble. More headspace means more co2 to fill up before the pressure builds enough to start bubbling out of the airlock.

Back