ESB w/ dried yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
Anyone ever made a ESB with dry yeast (nottingham) instead of liquid wyeast? I am curious if it turned out well and if it really would be any better than using more expensive liquid yeast. Just trying to save some money on the next batch......:mug:

I'm not sure about nottingham since I haven't used it in forever, but I made an ESB with SafAle 04 that turned out well. I think it took 3rd in PNW NHC regionals last year

I'm not sure about nottingham since I haven't used it in forever, but I made an ESB with SafAle 04 that turned out well. I think it took 3rd in PNW NHC regionals last year

thats good news for me in three weeks:mug:

I've used 8 different yeasts in my esb recipe (almost all liquid), and Nottingham is in my top 2 or 3 favorites.

I've used 8 different yeasts in my esb recipe (almost all liquid), and Nottingham is in my top 2 or 3 favorites.

I would be very interested in hearing which yeasts were used and what tasting notes, if any, you've made for them. or at least your order of preference.

I have not done any side-by-side comparisons or anything, but the ESB's that I have done turn out just fine with notty. Now I am no judge, I am not brewing to compete, and my best quantified measure as to "how good a beer is" is how fast the keg disappears. Having prefaced with that, my last ESB lasted a mere 2 weeks between SWMBO and I, and was first choice over anything else on tap. :D

White Labs English Ale WLP002 is the one I consistently use for my ESB and
it is great.

I would be very interested in hearing which yeasts were used and what tasting notes, if any, you've made for them. or at least your order of preference.

I'll see if I can dig up my notes tonight.....

White Labs English Ale WLP002 is the one I consistently use for my ESB and
it is great.

That has ended up being my favorite out of all the ones I've tried as well....except I use the Wyeast brand (Wyeast #1968).

Latest posts

Back