electric brewing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehaun

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those of you that brew with an electric system, do you have a cooling fan in your control panel enclosure?
I have oversized SSRs (40 amp for a 4500 watt element) and generous heat sinks but I am pondering the addition of an 80 mm muffin fan to circulate air thru the enclosure.
Overkill? Can't hurt? Absolute necessity?

In my "completely opposite from expert" opinion, I would say it can't hurt. When I get to the point of getting my control panel together, I'll probably put a small fan in there too... [/2¢]

I do not have one in mine at the moment, but when i re-build my control box I will be putting a muffin fan in there for good measure.

Mike

It would be a good idea. Cut the openings on the bottom, one for the fan and one for the vent. Make sure the fan is blowing into the enclosure to create a little positive pressure inside. It will be minimal, but will help prevent dust and moisture from entering around any leaks in the door or openings where the wiring enters.

It's not a bad idea, especially if you are enclosing an SSR. Many of them have heat sinks attached. It's also a good idea to pay attention to the mounting location of the panel. I end up with a large amount of heat from my rig contacting my panel (If I knew then what I know now...) At any rate, take the time to plan it well and if you incorporate a fan... what could the harm be? Maybe you can buy one of those cool computer fans with the blue or red LED's in them...

Back