Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay415

Reaction score
We drank this cider on Christmas and I got great reviews. Everyone loved it.
Here’s my notes:

06/28/08
5 gallons Mott's (clear)
1 packet Lalvin EC-1118 (pitched dry)
OG 1.050

07/12/08
SG 1.000
6.55% ABV

10/01/08
racked to keg and I stirred up a little too much sediment so pressurized and let it sit

12/13/08
reracked to another keg on top of 1/2 cup water mixed with 5 crushed Camden tablets and 1 1/4 tsp Pot Sorbate.

12/16/08
I boiled 1/2 gallon water (maybe a little less) with 1 lb dark brown sugar for a few minutes then added 1 cinnamon stick and turn down to a simmer covered for about a 1/2 hour (I think) I then let the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture sit covered until cool. Removed the cinnamon stick and added mixture to the keg.

12/25/08
Excellent reviews from friends and family. They were amazed I made this with bottled juice. Very subtle cinnamon flavor and slightly less sweet than common commercial brands.

The only thing I want to change is the cinnamon procedure. I think I want to age on a cinnamon stick or 2. Reason being is the first 2 or 3 glasses were cloudy with a stronger cinnamon flavor due to sediment from the cinnamon. So I figure if I age on cinnamon stick(s) I can eliminate the sediment and produce more consistent results. This recipe is definitely a winner.

Anyone have experience with cinnamon sticks to give me some input? How much to use and how long?

i wouldnt dare going over 1 stick per 3 gallons.
one of my ciders died of cinnamon overdose.
also, *racking* on cinnamon and not *ferment* on cinnamon is advised from most sources, and from personal experience...

I use two sticks per 5 gallons. They are two inch sticks. They are sold in 2 inch increments so the # of sticks can be deceiving. always start out light, if you have to step up the flavor you can add more......you can never take it out.

I use two sticks per 5 gallons. They are two inch sticks. They are sold in 2 inch increments so the # of sticks can be deceiving. always start out light, if you have to step up the flavor you can add more......you can never take it out.

i wouldnt dare going over 1 stick per 3 gallons.
one of my ciders died of cinnamon overdose.
also, *racking* on cinnamon and not *ferment* on cinnamon is advised from most sources, and from personal experience...

How long did you age on sticks?

Latest posts

Back