Should there be foam when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potatochip

Reaction score
This is my first batch that I'm brewing and I'm curious as to know...

Should there be foam when I transfer my beer from the primary to the secondary?

Because there is none. It's not flat either, it's like a wine.

Thanks!

There shouldn't be any foam! Foam = aeration = oxidation = bad beer!

Not quite doggy....some foam could be from starsan if he's racking over it, some foam could be kicked up CO2 or a new krauzening developing...it depends what the OP is defining as foam...

But if there's nothing there potatochip then don't worry about it..

Here's how mine looked when we racked it last week.

Brew-1-bottling-day.jpg

Just a couple little bubbles from when the siphon first started and that's it.

You do want to make sure to minimize an splashing or bubbling, because aeration does mean that it will get oxidized and lead to off flavors and stability problems. Foam isn't bad if it's from CO2 coming out of suspension, but air is bad and you want to minimize contact by keeping the siphon tube below the surface like in the picture above.

Not quite doggy....some foam could be from starsan if he's racking over it, some foam could be kicked up CO2 or a new krauzening developing...it depends what the OP is defining as foam...

But if there's nothing there potatochip then don't worry about it..

No one uses that crap.... :D Joking, didn't think about that! I assumed he was talking about foam from the brew not foam that was there prior to the racking.

Back