Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happened last night, went to take a sample from my first attempt at fermenting a sour under pressure... (now keep in mind I've been fermenting clean beer under pressure for years at this point).

Not wanting to infect my clean beer sampler (cobra tap, ball lock disconnect, silicone tubing, worm clamps, and some electrical tape), I built a 'dirty' beer rig with the same components sans worm clamps (whoops). So rather predictably tubing shot off promptly and I got sprayed with some 3 month old dark sour beer. Undaunted I realized my mistake and attached a worm clamp to either end of the tubing and tried again, this time it worked a treat, however, this time the poppet stuck... 2nd sour beer shower of the evening. I didn't lose much, and I smelled amazing, but I did have to clean the ceiling.

When my post-boil volume is low and OG high, I add water straight from the tap to get the OG down to where I want it.
No boiling, no sterilizing, just straight tap water. Never had a single infection or negative result.
In fact, while Star San is a no-rinse solution, I usually rinse it off with tap water too after it's been in contact long enough to do its thing. I've just always figured why put the sanitizer in my beer (even in small amounts)?

Caveat: my town has excellent drinking water that is also very good brewing water. Tastes delicious - no chlorine or metallic flavors.

I'm not so sure that's a questionable practice. There's a difference between clean and sanitized. I insure that the equipment is clean after use and dip or spray, depending on the item, with star san before use.
Yes, but the manufacturer recommendation for Star San is one minute of contact time, IIRC.
Not that many of us follow it, but chances are, if your gear is clean in the first place, you could probably get away without sanitizer 19 out of 20 times anyway.

Yes, but the manufacturer recommendation for Star San is one minute of contact time, IIRC.

Not that many of us follow it, but chances are, if your gear is clean in the first place, you could probably get away without sanitizer 19 out of 20 times anyway.

I never said that I don't sanitize. I sanitize before use not storage.

I don't like saisons. I have tried several and just don't care for them. I do like Belgians though. I also don't care for most typical English yeasts.

I don't like saisons. I have tried several and just don't care for them. I do like Belgians though. I also don't care for most typical English yeasts.

I tell my friends I can almost ALWAYS pick out an english yeast. I also like Belgians and I DO like saisons, though. I can't handle the esters from English ale yeast...although I can make an exception for 1318...

I was nearing the end of a long night of brewing...

What's that noise?

I lifted the lid of my brew kettle which was providing the sanctuary for my cooling wort to find the hose clamps had come loose on my IC due to an extended whirlpooling session and I was spraying nasty hose water into my wort.

I don't think I've run faster at 1am in my life.

Somehow, the beer turned out pretty damn good still.

I just boiled my mash on accident. Should be an interesting experiment.

Left one of the elements on by accident and walked away for 45 minutes. Started at 152 f so likely got full conversion before it started to boil but lordy it made and unholy mess and I am guessing I will have some of the infamous "tannin extraction" but going to ferment it out anyway.

You're lucky you didn't burn the crap out of your mash!

Now that's what I call "no sparge brewing" lol

Hey, I hit my numbers!

I added a elcheapo pizza screen on SS bolts when I built the 20 gallon pot to keep everything off the elements.

It did deposit 15% or so of my grist into the actual boil that I had to muck out. Like I said, will be interesting.

I was brewing on Sat and walked away from the kettle during chilling to grab something. Came back a few mins later and a hornet was doing the back stroke in 100 degree wort.

Thought a few seconds about a short boil but thought...nah...let it ride...in the name of science. ;)

Back