Wort didnt boil - batch ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crstevens15

Reaction score
Long story short, I ran out of propane recently on a batch of Brown Porter. I ended up simmering with an ounce of hops for about an hour, but never got it to a boil.

I ended up transferring and pitching with some S-04, fermented nicely.

OG: 1043
FG: 1008

Now I'm gonna bottle it up, what'ya think, was this a waste of time or will it be drinkable?

Did I get just enough bitterness out of the hops during a simmer for an hour? It was just an ounce of fuggles.

Caleb

Is there a spoilage issue with not boiling the hops?

I've tasted some good beers that at bottling tasted really bad. But I suppose spoiled is different than bad...

All grain or extract?

No, there isn't a spoilage issue. You just won't get as much bitterness like you said.

Boiling is to develop hot break, break down hops, drive off DMS, etc. If you're using extract the recipe should turn out fine.

You're fine as long as it got to 185*F. That's where the isomerization of alpha acids begin and transform into iso-alpha acids (which gives you bitterness).

It was all grain.

In doing some reading I think the biggest thing will be dms and issues not really related to hops.

I guess I'll find out!

Still a bummer though, as I brew about once a month, feels like a wasted brew day.

When I was on the stove, the stove broke right at the start of my boil. I had to transfer to a Coleman camp stove which just would not get to a full boil, but close....the beer turned out great, actually, and yours will too! :mug:

Call me crazy, but why didn't you get another tank or your tank filled while it simmered?

Long story short, I ran out of propane recently on a batch of Brown Porter. I ended up simmering with an ounce of hops for about an hour, but never got it to a boil.

I ended up transferring and pitching with some S-04, fermented nicely.

OG: 1043
FG: 1008

Now I'm gonna bottle it up, what'ya think, was this a waste of time or will it be drinkable?

Did I get just enough bitterness out of the hops during a simmer for an hour? It was just an ounce of fuggles.

Caleb

next time make sure you have a spare tank around jic... last few times this happened to me I just borrowed the tank off the grill and when on brewing

I tried to do it on the stove but the burner wouldn't get the 7 gallons boiling, and I couldn't really get my keggle to fit on the stove.

It was 1 am, so I didn't really have any options.

The brew day was sort of a disaster!

Back