WLP645 Brett Claussenii (Anomalus)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkm

Reaction score
I'm prepping to do a 100% brett beer with WLP645, Brett Claussenii (Anomalus).

I started a breed up on 7/6 with one vial of WLP645 and .5L 11P wort with 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient and 1/2 tablespoon of maltodextrin on a stir-plate. The maltodextrin was added on a whim. Not a standard starter ingredient, but I thought, "the brett can eat it, so maybe it would like some."

7/8 there was good looking activity (not raging, but good), so I stepped it up to 2.2L with 11P wort (was aiming for 2L, but over poured). Again I added 1/2 tsp of yeast nutrient and 1/2 tbls maltodextrin.

Looking pretty good this morning 7/10. It's my first brett starter, I'm used to a different looking krausen, but I think it looks pretty good:
7544427644_57b2b3206e_c.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tkmace/7544427644/
This is way faster than most postings about brett starters, but I felt I could be aggressive based on visual growth.

So I'm getting ready for brew day tomorrow or Thursday 7/11 or 7/12, and was wondering if anyone had any comments about this recipe. I'm shooting for a quick turnaround to drinking time, 8 weeks. Also somewhat non-standard, but i'm giving it a shot. If it's not ready, I'll just wait longer to drink.
I'm going for amber-ish color, low bitterness, but hop forward aroma. (Some tropical from the hops to help out the brett). I am hopeful that I will get distinctly different character than a sacc fermentation. (6gal batch, OG 13.6)

72% 2-row
3% Car. 60 L
7% Acidulated (1/2 added near the end of mash cycle)
2% Chocolate malt
8% Munich 10L
8% dextrose kettle

Mash low 151F

.2 oz Millennium 16%AA 60 min
1 oz Nelson Sav EOB
1 oz Cascade EOB

I use a touch of fermcap in the boil. Any comments about fermcap and Brett?
Shooting for a fermentation temp of 70F. I usually only control with initial temp and insulation. Should be OK this time of year in my house.
I'm planning on low but some aeration. (I wish I had a way to measure.)

I also don't know wether to chill and decant my starter or not. Seems like that would shock the brett a bit, but I don't want much acetic character to carryover from the starter. (I'm used to just pouring the whole thing into the fermenter.)

Comments? Help? What did I leave out?

Isnt the bitterness pretty low on that beer? You dont need to keep the bitterness low in 100% Brett beers like you do in a beer with Lacto Pedio etc. I Used Brett C in a 100% Brett fermentation on an ESB, the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles actually, which I think clocks in at 35 IBUs (off the top of my head). I think youre going be left wanting a litte bit of bitterness to balance out the Brett, but I only have 1 100% Brett beer under my belt.

I would just pitch the entire starter, thats what I did. Plus from what Ive been reading, it takes ~8 days for an all brett starter to ferment out so you may still have some sugars left to ferment in there.

+1 on upping the bitterness. 100% brett doesnt super attenuate so you'd want the same bitterness as you'd use with sacchro

no idea why you're krausen looks diff, my brett ones always look similar to sacchro

I'm shooting for a quick turnaround to drinking time, 8 weeks. Also somewhat non-standard, but i'm giving it a shot. If it's not ready, I'll just wait longer to drink.

it should be ready long before 8 weeks (even if that includes bottle carbonation time)

AmandaK said:
I like the look of that starter!

Is that normal for a Brett starter?
Yeah a bit more hops would probably be good, just want to make sure it is balanced and would like it to dry out.

Is that normal for a Brett starter?
Yeah a bit more hops would probably be good, just want to make sure it is balanced and would like it to dry out.

Looks like a normal brett starter. I've had brett starters that looked/behaved just like normal sacch starters and ones that formed pellicles like yours. Its the same as fermenting full batches, a pellicle may or may not develop depending on the amount of oxygen present.

So far so good. Beer smells good, tropical and some earthy notes. Some strange yeast funk

I did bump up the bitterness. Ended up going with a blend of Nelson, Citra, Bravo and a bit of Saaz in the finish. Shooting for 40 BU's.
The other recipe change I made was to switch out the C-60 for a bit less Patagonia C-150, and added rye flakes to 4%. 7% Acidulated brought my mash pH down from 5.6 to 5.2.

OG ended up at 15P

Date: Deg P: pH: Notes:
7/12/12 15 5 Pitched all of starter.
7/16/12 7 4.4 Still obvious swirling yeast activity today.
7/18/12 4.5 starting to clear a bit. 10 sec or less between bubbles still.

Still hoping for a terminal of 1.5-2 P.

Back