Czech Premium Pale Lager Denny's Evil Czech Pilsner (well not really evil..)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you brewed this?

• Yes: Loving it

• Yes: meh

• Nope

• No, Denny's megalomaniac evil scientist Godhood makes me pee my pants in nervous anticipation!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Pils or neutral ale yeast
Batch Size (Gallons)
10 (40L)
Original Gravity
1.056 to 1.062 depending on efficency
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
60+
IBU
Color
3.6 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 or so
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
as long as you wish, should be lagered
This beer kicks ass. My Czech neighbor loves it.

For 40L (10ish gallons)

8.50 Kg Gambrinus Pils Malt
0.25 Kg Gambrinus Honey Malt

60 grams Northern Brewer (8.5% AA) 60+ min
60 grams Saaz (4.0% AA) last 15 min
60 grams Saaz (4.0% AA) last 5 min

Whirlfloc last 5 min (optional)

Pils yeast, or other lager yeast. Saflager 23 for dry lager yeast (works well).
Can also be made using clean, dry ale yeast. Nottingham etc. [EDIT] I recommend Mauribrew ale Yeast for a simulated lager. Damn fast, damn clean, damn damn damn!
If using ale yeast.. keep to lower end of yeast temp range.

I'm including my original step mash. Other wise single infusion at 149-151F with mashout

40c (104F) for 15 min (gum/debranching rest)
50c (122F) for 15 min (Protien rest)
60c (140F) for 30 min (Beta rest)
70c (158F) for 30 min (Alpha rest)
Mashout at 76c

I'll let you AG'rs figure out sparge water etc.

I want to lager a pisner, but my fridge on its warmest setting is at about 46 degrees F. What do you suggest I do? I can only find yeasts that have a 47 degree F low range. Can I get a yeast that will lager at about 47 for its low range, and then just double the amount that I pitch?

You can lager at 46F but it will take longer. The closer you get to zero the shorter the required lagering time. There was a bunch of scientific research done on this and I remember seeing a chart some where showing on average how much x temp shortened lagering time.

Did you brew my recipe? What yeast did you use? Curious.

No, I am going to be doing a pils though. Can't do this one because I am still a partial extract brewer.

I should add some notes.

I usually make this beer now with clean ale yeasts (my favorite is Mauri Ale yeast) and have fooled die hard Czech Pilsner drinkers.

Pretty much any bittering variety of a low cohumolone, can be used in the boil unless you are FWH'ing (First Wort Hop) the boiling hops. In that case try to use one of the new hybrids that has high IBU and Saaz like flavor. (Though I don't know of any hybrids that currently achieve this).

I use a single infusion and batch sparge now a days (though I have not been brewing for a while do lack of brewing space - soon to be remedied I hope).

I should add some notes.

I usually make this beer now with clean ale yeasts (my favorite is Mauri Ale yeast) and have fooled die hard Czech Pilsner drinkers.

Pretty much any bittering variety (of a type that is not "harsh" on the tongue) can be used in the boil unless you are FWH'ing (First Wort Hop) the boiling hops. In that case try to use one of the new hybrids that has high IBU and Saaz like flavor.

I use a single infusion and batch sparge now a days (though I have not been brewing for a while do lack of brewing space - soon to be remedied I hope).

Holy cow- look what the internet dragged in! Denny, it's great to "see" you again! :ban:

Holy cow- look what the internet dragged in! Denny, it's great to "see" you again! :ban:

Hey Yoop!

Been avoiding the forum since I can not brew (and haven't been able to for a while) due to lack of brew space where I have been living (various places) for the last year and a half. (It was to depressing reading about everyones beer! That and I was way to bloody busy).

Hoping to be able to brew again this spring. In the mean time I have grabbed some apple juice and am playing with yeast strains! Flor yeast/Saf-33. bwahahahaha!

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
I should add some notes.

Pretty much any bittering variety (of a type that is not "harsh" on the tongue) can be used in the boil unless you are FWH'ing (First Wort Hop) the boiling hops. In that case try to use one of the new hybrids that has high IBU and Saaz like flavor.

What is the mauri yeast? Haven't tried that one yet, and I love trying new strains.

What is the mauri yeast? Haven't tried that one yet, and I love trying new strains.

Sorry for the laste reply. Finally started brewing again and now I'm back on the board..

Mauribrew Ale 514

Has a good description: http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Mauribrew_Ale_514_Yeast.html

Works well in hot temps (great for those brewing in warm houses)

Fast and clean yeast . Very attentive. Common as snot in Australia. Making inroads in NA. I buy it by the lb. I buy all my yeast by the lb (500g) as it works out much cheaper. I just vacuum seal them.

They also have a wheat (heffe like I hear) yeast and lager yeast.

Going to try this sith Aurora hops instead of northern brewer and saaz. Probably FWH the bittering addition.

Anyone used Aurora in a pilsner? Hops should be here Friday.

Also going to try Mauri Lager yeast for the first time.

Brewed this many times now, my go-to lager recipe. Great stuff! I am using WLP 800 Pilsner Lager as my yeast strain.

Back