Bourbon Soaked Hickory Chips: Good idea to add to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDar1989

Reaction score
I have a beer kit to make an "American Light Ale", and don't see myself drinking and enjoying 5 gallons of such a generic style. I had an idea to soak hickory chips in bourbon and add them to the secondary. Is this a good idea? How long should I soak the hickory chips? How much hickory would be appropriate to add to the secondary? Thanks for the help!

From past experience,I'd say 4oz hickory chips (well dried!) to 3 jiggers of bourbon. Soak in a tight lidded plastic container in the fridge while beer ferments. Then pour the contents through a muslin hop sack into secondary. Tie up the bag of chips,drop in & rack the beer onto them. Seal & let sit for a week. Then take a 1oz sample (shot glass). See if the flavor is where you want it. Age in bottles.

the mix of bourbon & chips I gave you should def allow the malts & hops come through more. Balance is still the key here. You want all the flavors to contribute,Like a chef does with food. And yes,being a good cook,foodie,etc def helps in brewing as well. Even my now brew mistress wife agrees whole hartedly to that.

Latest posts

Back