Hello from West Plains, Missouri

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grinder

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jason and I am just starting into the wonderful world of homebrewing. I have wanted to do this for a while, but never had the time / cash. Recently I heard of a store in the area that sells homebrew equipment. If you live near Mountain View, Missouri, I highly recommend the Sunshine Health Market. They have great prices and a very friendly staff.

Anyway, I took a trip over there to check out their store (and play a round of golf). I was so impressed with the store, that I made the plunge and bought a kit for myself and my friend bought one as well. Later, we headed home with a van load of homebrewing goodness.

We started with my brew first and it was a blast. Now, I am having some problems with the kit. I am to the fermintation stage and it's not bubbling like it should. I am pretty sure I killed the yeast because the brew was too hot when it was added (could be wrong, though).

Well, I guess I'll see if this batch actually becomes beer or if it becomes lawn water. Either way, I will be brewing again and again and again...

Happy brewing!

Jason

Welcome fellow Missouri brewer. You have found the right spot for advice.

What was the temp when the yeast was pitched (added to the wort (liquid to become beer))?

How long ago?

Sometimes yeast takes a little while to get started. If the wort was too hot, its possible to kill the yeast.
Another possibility is you didn't use the greatest yeast. If you used a nameless packet taped to the top of a malt extract can, its hard telling how long its been there. Next time your at the HBS buy a couple packets of a name brand (Muntons, SAF Ale, or Nottingham) dry yeast to keep around for emergencies. If you wort doesn't start fermenting after 72 hours, there is most likely a problem. Carefully remove the lid and pitch another packet of Name brand Dry Yeast

Cool, thanks for the advice. It turns out that I just needed to wait a little bit longer. I checked the airlock last night and it is bubbling away!

The next time I am at the HBS, I will pick up the yeast as per your advice.

Thanks,
Jason

I'm not actually from there, but my greant aunt lives there. I spent about 2 weeks of every summer of my childhood in West Plains.... out on some winding dirt roads.

But, I have a Zizzers sweatshirt stashed away someplace that I've had for a very long time.

Back