priming sugar temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukem5

Reaction score
I am using this calculator http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php

And where it says "temperature" do I put the temperature the beer will be sitting at in the bottle while it is priming? Or the temperature I fermented it at?

I wish they made this stuff more obvious!:confused:

"Beer temperature" is the temperature that you intend to serve the brew. This is important because the carbonation level (ie: the "volumes of CO2") you want is dependent upon the temperature of the served brew. And that, in turn, dictates the amount of fermentables you want to add when you mix up your priming solution...

Cheers!

"Beer temperature" is the temperature that you intend to serve the brew. This is important because the carbonation level (ie: the "volumes of CO2") you want is dependent upon the temperature of the served brew. And that, in turn, dictates the amount of fermentables you want to add when you mix up your priming solution...

Cheers!

No, that's not correct! The "beer temperature" is the fermentation temperature!

Here's why- colder beer "holds" onto co2 better than warmer beer. It doesn't really matter if the fermentation temperature is 65 or 70, but it makes a huge difference if you put in, say, 40 degrees vs 70 degrees! Those priming calculators guess at the amount of co2 already in the beer, as to avoid overpriming.

But usually, just ignore the temperature unless you've done a lager that never got above 50 degrees. Use a "standard" 68 degrees if you've fermented at normal ale fermentation temperatures. Otherwise, you'll be undercarbing (or overcarbing, if you go the other way and put high 70s).

No, that's not correct! The "beer temperature" is the fermentation temperature!

Here's why- colder beer "holds" onto co2 better than warmer beer. It doesn't really matter if the fermentation temperature is 65 or 70, but it makes a huge difference if you put in, say, 40 degrees vs 70 degrees! Those priming calculators guess at the amount of co2 already in the beer, as to avoid overpriming.

But usually, just ignore the temperature unless you've done a lager that never got above 50 degrees. Use a "standard" 68 degrees if you've fermented at normal ale fermentation temperatures. Otherwise, you'll be undercarbing (or overcarbing, if you go the other way and put high 70s).

Yoop's right. Technically it's the "coldest temp the beer fermented at" but like she said, unless you brewed a lager, it's pretty much your ambient temp. Which is usually around 70 degrees.

In those kits with pre-measured 4.5-5 ounces of priming sugar it's calculated at 70 degrees.

Back