Dreg viability: Rodenbach, Vichtenaar, Liefmans, Festina Peche

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a Flanders Red soon, and picked up a few bottles today in hopes of culturing them to add some complexity to the White Labs Belgian Sour Mix I'll be using during fermentation. Has anyone had any success cultivating the dregs from:

Rodenbach Grand Cru
Liefmans Goudenband
Vichtenaar Flemish Ale
Dogfish Head Festina Peche (I know it's a long shot).

My basic plan is to follow Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles recipe, but I don't think I want to ferment with a separate ale yeast - I'd rather blend later.

I don't think you're going to have any luck with those bottles, they're all pasteurized (DFH may be filtered only, not sure on that one). Check out this link for a good list of where you can get viable critters. Your best bet is going to be American sours, Jolly Pumpkin tends to be a really good source. Enjoy the beer though.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2010/06/harvesting-sour-beer-bottle-dregs.html

That's too bad - can't get Jolly Pumpkin around here. But I'll definitely enjoy the beers, and will just use the sour blend to ferment.

Yeah, as far as I am aware none of those have live bugs. Most Flemish Reds are pasteurized since they are either blended or sweetened so they aren't bone dry. Wyeast Roeselare is especially intended for Flemish Reds. good place to start, then you can go with any bottle dregs to boost the sourness and complexity.

Back