Using Chocolate Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butterball

Reaction score
My first all grain batch (oak butt brown ale) is in the primary and I would like to give it a slight chocolate flavor. Is cocoa powder a good alternative to add to secondary? If so, how much should I add to not overdo it? Also thinking a small amount of vanilla extract. Obviously I'm experimenting but when I tasted the batch out of primary it seemed to be lacking some body/flavor.

There was cocoa in the boil in my chocolate oatmeal stout and the recipe called for some added to secondary, too. Just get some NON-FAT cocoa with no preservatives. Search the forums for quantities.

I'm a huge fan of cacao nibs in secondary!
I've used both powder and nibs and found better flavor from the later.

Vanilla extract is powerful stuff and the aromatics might be driven off by the active fermentation if added to the primary. It's best to add extracts at bottling time. Pull off a small sample, maybe a 1/2 gallon, and dose it with vanilla (keeping track of how much you add) until it tastes good. Then figure out how much to add to your whole batch.

Back