specific hops for the garden state (nj)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
looking to do 1 or 2 plants this year. i am wondering if i should plant any specific strands for the garden state, NJ. Wondering which might grow better, or which strands wont do so well. Any suggestions???

looking for the strands available at most places, i would probably want to do one northern brewer and one chinook. are those good choices for nj?

They should do fine. NJ summers aren't all that hot (at least not in Ramsey back in the '70s) and high humidity is a plus.

Rutger's university did a study on growing Hops in NJ. Google it & I think you'll find some real good info.

Hops are grown on the West Coast, primarily because of diseases that effect hops on the East Coast. I would plant resistant varieties. It seems those that are resistant to the one disease are susceptible to the other. So, maybe plant from each group and then see what does well.

Princeton Homebrew sells hop rhizomes, and the owner grows them out front. He could probably give you some advice.

Joe's got Cascades now. Those grow well, they are from a NJ hop farm. I just planted about 14 myself

looking to do 1 or 2 plants this year. i am wondering if i should plant any specific strands for the garden state, NJ. Wondering which might grow better, or which strands wont do so well. Any suggestions???

looking for the strands available at most places, i would probably want to do one northern brewer and one chinook. are those good choices for nj?

My Chinook did best last year for me, cascade did crappy but we'll see what a second year does.

I'm attempting to grow chinook and cascade in Jersey this summer. Middlesex county to be specific. i'm pot starting them now at my home in Edison and moving them to their home in South River where i do my gardening.

i've planted nuggets, cascades, and cenntennials in bergen county. only the nuggets survived, and they've just sprouted for their 3rd year.

is it to early put them outside in pots now? i cant transfer to the garden untill may

Shouldn't be to early. Frost doesn't kill hops it takes a deep freeze.

I planted Cascade, Chinock, Willamette, Kent Golding, Sterling, Fuggle, and Nugget...all are coming up nicely besides the nugget.

Back