Making /Storing on Extract/Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD_X

Reaction score
Hiya,

Not that I would do this BUT... does anyone make extra large mashes and freeze off some of the wort for later use? For example, I make a Bock that I pretty much have down 100% - which gets rave reviews from friends and family, so I make a lot of it.

However, I want to free up time to do other beers as well. I only have so many days of the year I can brew. So I was thinking, why not mash up 20-30 gallons and save off the majority to be used later, so all I need to do is boil and add hops.

Just curious.

The wort is a nice place for bacteria to live at this point. You have any bacteria that was on the grain in there due to the fact that you haven't boiled it yet.

What I would do is go ahead and run your boil and such, and then look into the no-chill method. This would allow you to store a good bit, and possibly even freeze it at that point.

Now, if you have access to some hardcore freezers, you could probably freeze your wort pre-boil without a problem. I have played with a few -80C freezers at my wifes office and you could get something frozen solid in a hurry with one of those.

The wort is a nice place for bacteria to live at this point. You have any bacteria that was on the grain in there due to the fact that you haven't boiled it yet.

What I would do is go ahead and run your boil and such, and then look into the no-chill method. This would allow you to store a good bit, and possibly even freeze it at that point.

Now, if you have access to some hardcore freezers, you could probably freeze your wort pre-boil without a problem. I have played with a few -80C freezers at my wifes office and you could get something frozen solid in a hurry with one of those.

I have a deep freezer that works very very quickly. One gallon water jugs freeze very quickly. I regularly pump the wort directly into my 15 gallon fermenter and crash chill before aerating and pitching, I have even left it for a week at near freezing without any issues. Which gave rise to today's inquiry.

I agree that the bacteria issue MIGHT be a problem for longer term storage but I could add some sulfite to the wort, which should take care of the nasties. I wonder if boiling would drive off that sulfite. I could use a vacuum pump to take out all the O2.

Back