Blichmann Burner Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyTbar

Reaction score
Hey recently bought two blichmann burners, both are having the same problem
, both seem like there not getting enough air, on both the intakes have to be fully open to get a blue flame i have blown both out with an air compressor cant see any blockage, followed the instructions even watched the blichmann video on youtube, if i try and close the air intake no matter what the gas setting is it gives me huge orange flames, should i contact them? or is there something i am missing here

any help would be awesome, i have used these before with great results, but finally got around to buying one for myself, they are just way too expensive to have any issues:(

If you have a blue flame with the shutters open. Why are you closing them? Starve the burner of air, you will get a sooty, yellow flame.

If you have a blue flame with the shutters open. Why are you closing them? Starve the burner of air, you will get a sooty, yellow flame.

i am not fully closing them the problem is that i have to have them fully open to achive a blue flame, my buddies you only have to have open maybe 1/4 turn and that is what blichmann recommends. Having to leave them open all the way is not allowing me to fine tune the burner... its all or nothing basically

Is it possible you are tripping the ACME valve in the regulator? Are you starting the whole thing off with the regulator fully closed before slowly opening the tank valve, then slowly opening the regulator?

fwiw, I've been using a pair of Blichmann burners on propane with the factory regulators for years. Both my BK burner and HLT burners have their air dampers set to 50% open. I can't remember the last time I fiddled with either of them...

Cheers!

The burners are simple, so it's probably an issue of how you're adjusting your propane. Are you adjusting the regulator, burner and orifice all at the same time?

I'd give it lots of gas at the regulator (not the tank, just go ahead and open that), open that to a trickle at the burner and then start closing your orifice a bit from wide open. If it starves, try giving it more gas at the burner and see if you can get blue tips. Short blue tips are hotter then you'd think, you don't need 2" of flame jumping out of the burner.

Just work the orifice and the burner valve until you get a happy medium. As said above, once you set it you can Ronco forget it.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but did you ever get this figured out?

I'm having a similar issue with my Blichmann Burner. Basically I can open the air damper completely and reach a decent blue flame (flames still hop a bit) with a small amount of propane flowing from the regulator. However, I need to increase the propane flow to achieve the heat needed to boil 7 gallons, from then on the flame gets orange and sloppy as if it needs more air.

My method is to start with the air damper half way and the regulator closed. Then I fully open the valve on the propane tank, and then slowly open the regulator and light the burner. From this point I follow Blichmann's guidance on dialing in the flame until I have to have the damper fully open and still needing more air...

When I first got mine I followed their instructions and kept getting yellow flame as I increased the airflow so I'd keep dialing it back which kept the issue going. Eventually I opened it all the way and the flames turned blue. I had to dual it back just a bit from fully open but it's pretty close to fully open. Since then I have no problems. I keep setting it to nearly fully open just a tad less, then from there I dial in the flame. Have you tried starting with it nearly 100% open? Like try 90% or just a little more. Also, if you store it in a place where there might be spiders, like the basement or garage (I store in the basement) be sure to close the air intake so there is no open space for them to crawl into. Even still, they can crawl into the burner holes and create webbing which can also disrupt the flow and cause yellow flaming. In that event, using a thin brush to get into the holes and air intake to clean them out helps.

Rev.

I do the same as brevity only I increase the flow using the regulator until the flame is about 3/4-1" tall. I brew in the garage with minimal wind disturbance and I've never had a problem with my Blichmann. My air dampner is about half way open and I never adjust it anymore. If you haven't tried increasing the flow using the regulator more it might be that.

Back