High Temp tubing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bierandbikes

Reaction score
I use the standard vinyl tubing from my LHBS or hardware store for draining hot wort from the mash tun, transferring from kettle to fermenter, etc. However, this tubing has a max temp rating of 70F. Is there an alternative that will go to 170F for the runoff? I am not pumping from HLT to mash tun (yet) but assume that other brewers are using something that will handle 175+.

Brew Pedaler Brewery

Silicone tubing is a great option. Rated to 500'F. It can cost around $2.10 a foot however

I'm sure you'll find a million threads throughout here with links to places to buy - midwest, brewers hardware, bargain fittings, us plastics, more beer, NB, etc etc. That temperature is not super high though so silicone is overkill - I'd check out tubing at US plastics - superthane perhaps but there are other food grade tubings that relatively inexpensive compared to silicone.

I definitely would not be using vinyl with temps. There's a reason tubing has a temperature rating and it's not just because of the risk of it melting or bursting.

Also consider thermoplastic tubing. It's cheaper than santoprene or silicone at 1.65 per foot (for 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD), available at northern brewer.
It is not translucent like silicone, and less flexible, tougher. It will take well above boiling temperatures.
I use both silicone and thermoplastic and recommend both.

Silicone will hold onto hose barbs better than thermoplastic however, because it is more elastic. Silicone sometimes doesn't even need clamps on barbs. Thermoplastic is better if you are concerned about kinking or hoses doubling over.

Back