Useless water quality report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donshizzles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just received my local town water quality report. Although I am new to this water analysis stuff, it seems this report is lacking in the information pertinent to brewing. NOT listed are the following.....

Calcium
Magnesium
Ammonia
Nitrite
pH
Hardness
Alkalinity

Chlorine is listed but not Chloramines so I am to assume Chloramines are not used in this part of the county?

Categories such as turbidity, barium, fluoride, boron, iron and manganese are listed. Is this a useless report or can I order a different report with better info?

Same thing happened to me, I looked on my citie's website, found and email address for the water department and sent them an email stating I was a homebrewer and including all those things above not listed. Within an hour or two I got an email back with all the numbers I needed. Most municipal water departments get contacted by homebrewers all the time, so they know what you need when you request it. In Chicago, they prolly get a call or an email from one a day...

Same thing happened to me, I looked on my citie's website, found and email address for the water department and sent them an email stating I was a homebrewer and including all those things above not listed. Within an hour or two I got an email back with all the numbers I needed. Most municipal water departments get contacted by homebrewers all the time, so they know what you need when you request it. In Chicago, they prolly get a call or an email from one a day...

I did the same thing and got the same quick results. You might also check with some local brewers who may have sent out to Wards for a water check. You might be surprised by the different results. I have a copy of the October 2010 city report and a copy of the January 2011 Wards report and I plan on sending my water to Wards in April. I will find someone local to get a Wards check in July, and when the city checks again this October we will have 5 data points in 1 year.

Back