Adding LME at flameout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bell

Reaction score
Ok, for my third batch I bought one of the "Goldseal" kits (designed for beginners, like me) from Austin Homebrew, the Holiday Ale. It goes something like this:

1/4 lb chocolate malt, 1/4 white wheat, 1/2 lb 60L steeped @ 155 for 20 mins

Beer kit "add pack" (1 lb corn sugar, 1 lb x-lite DME 1.4 lb malto dexrin)--add and bring to boiling

1 oz cluster hops, add at beginning of 60 min boil

Spice pack (nutmeg, cinnamon, mace) added last 15 min of boil

5 lbs. amber LME added at flameout

With the other kits (Midwest English Bitter and AHS Blue Moon clone) I've done, the LME was added at the beginning, not the end, so this seems odd to me.

Any thoughts on this? In terms of the addition of the LME, should this be modified, or brew as directed? Also, anythoughts on adding the spices a litte later--last 5 mins or maybe at flameout?

Thanks.

While I know that LME certainly doesn't need to be boiled for 60+ min, you wont get any hot break and probably not even proper sterilization by adding LME at flame out.

That said, I think adding it at the end will work fine, but if you're uncomfortable with the idea add it at the beginning as you have and im sure nothing bad will happen

15 min for the spices is fine I think

The practice you are referring to is known as late extract addition. The thread I linked to discusses it. While some malt manufacturers say that thier extract doesn't need to be boiled, boiling it for at least 15 minutes guarantees any possible contaminants are killed. If you use proper handling techniques, adding it at the end should be fine, but I'd rather have the piece of mind by boiling for the last 15.

Adding it at flameout is a relatively safe practice, but boiling for a short period of time will still give you the color you desire and eliminate all doubt. I've done quite a few batches with a late addition at 5 minutes remaining in the boil and that has worked fine for me. Just remember, with liquid extract, remove the pot from the heat when adding to avoid scorching.

Back