How do i make my beer less bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beno1

Reaction score
This was what i put down a month ago and kegged it was very nice an didnt last long at all. I am going to make it again but need to know how i can make it less bitter?? Do i steep the hops for less time ?

1 can of coopers real ale
1.5 liqiud light malt
200g of crystal grain cracked and steeped for 30 mins
20g cascade hops steep 20 min
10 g nelson steep for 20 mins
15 g of nelson 0min
Safale us05

Your recipe is geared towards a strong hops flavor and aroma and not so much pure bittering. Substitute for a different hop types. I'd probably cut back on the amount of the cascade, and swap out something like citra or bramling cross for the Nelson Sauvin hops, which run in the 11-13% alpha acid (bitterness) range.

This is why brewing is as much an art as a science. :)

That doesn't look very bitter to begin with with only late hops. But answer your question, yes less time will reduce the bitterness as well a smaller amount of hops.

I hope you steeped the grains but boiled the hops. If you just steep the hops there is no need for separate additions. But to your question, the Cooper's can is probably hopped extract designed for no-boil brewing. Next time try a kit with unhopped extract. That way you can control the amount of bitterness by adjusting your bittering hop addition. Were the bittering units (IBU) listed on your kit? If so, go for something lower next time.

Alternatively, you could start drinking Imperial IPAs a lot. Then you won't mind the pale ale bittering range.

^^^ +1
Not sure exactly what your process is. If you boiled the canned kit, the alpha acids in it that were intended for flavor and aroma would be isomerized essentially converting your flavor and aroma to biterness. Maybe you steeped your hops and grain then combined this hop/grain "tea" with your extract and brought it up to near boiling to santiize it before chilling. As long as you don't boil the coopers can it should work fine.

Latest posts

Back