protein rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grrtt78

Reaction score
i want to make my first all grain a hefe and i was wondering would a protein rest be necessary bc of the wheat? could i just add rice hulls? if i have to i can do a rest, i use a 12 gallon cooler but i would rather not on my first ag. any help?

Protein rest are usually used to help make the final product clear...not a concern with hefeweizens.

Also, in John Palmer's book he says:
Moderately-modified malts benefit from a protein rest to break down any remnant large proteins into smaller proteins and amino acids as well as to further release the starches from the endosperm. Fully-modified malts have already made use of these enzymes and do not benefit from more time spent in the protein rest regime. In fact, using a protein rest on fully modified malts tends to remove most of the body of a beer, leaving it thin and watery. Most base malt in use in the world today is fully modified. Less modified malts are often available from German maltsters. Brewers have reported fuller, maltier flavors from malts that are less modified and make use of this rest.

Are you using pilsner malt? If so, you could do it but it is not necessary.

Being your first AG, I say SKIP IT and when you get the process down do the same brew again with the protein rest and see how the resulting beers compare.

i thought it was also to help lautering to keep the wheat from being too sticky

grrtt78 said:
i thought it was also to help lautering to keep the wheat from being too sticky

I don't think you need to if you are using malted wheat.

Many people recommend adding 1/2 lb of rice hulls to help with this.

Protien rests will help with head retention and help to create a nice think head on your beers too, IMO. I usally do some sort of protien rest if I am not using any carapils or Wheat, in the brew. Oh yeah the wheat will help with the head retention too.

Cheers

I did a strange multi step mash/water addition-122/144/158/168/172,doughed in at 135,stepped additions all at 212 to meet temps. I don't think I understood the steps in the recipe,but this all seemed to work for me-hit the S.G. right on at 1.040 so...... Shane

wop31 said:
Protien rests will help with head retention and help to create a nice think head on your beers too, IMO. I usally do some sort of protien rest if I am not using any carapils or Wheat, in the brew. Oh yeah the wheat will help with the head retention too.

Cheers

Right, this is done by proteases during the protein rest. But if the grain is fully modified (most are), this work has already been done during malting. Further time at a protein rest temp. will break doing the proteins too much leaving you with less body. I believe wheat malt is usually fully modified, so the only reason I can think to add a protein rest with a hefeweizen is if you are using pilsner malt.

Again, skip it for your first AG.

Back