Smoker wood chips for wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffire5

Reaction score
I have some wood chips that I use for my smoker. Oak, cherry, mesquite, etc. has anyone tried using these chips in a similar manner to oak cubes? I figure I can bake/broil to toast them and to ensure they are sterile. I'll be adding them to the secondary so i'm less concerned w/ contamination. I have various sizes from saw dust, like to shredded, to chunks that I'll have a problem with jamming in the carboy (and have a worse time removing after they swell with water). If any one has any anecdotal evidence that shows that this will or will not work, please share before I ruin my work in progress. I searched a bit but didn't see much. Once this experiment is done I'll let them dry out and I'll throw them in the smoker. :) thanks in advance!

Did you try this? I'm surprised no one has responded in 8 years. I'm soaking some apple wood chips in some Jack Daniels to add some complexity to a red wine I'll be making. It will take me a while, but I'll try to circle back and post my results.

Back