SQ-14 Opinions - Strictly for All Grain Boil Kettle Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
I've done a search and have seen varied opinions of this burner. I'm not positive, but I get the feeling that the negative reply's come from those heating a large amount of water from tap temp to mash or boil temp.....which is not my situation. I am currently using a single high pressure burner for both my HLT and boil kettle, doing 10-12 gallon all grain batches. No huge deal, but currently I have to do my first running's into my boil kettle, drain the HLT into the mash tun, then get the burner down off of the bench I brew on, and finally lift the boil kettle onto it.

My current burner is plenty quick, but can be tough to control, creating the occasional boil over. I've heard that control-ability is one of the SQ-14's strength's, but overall strength is not.

I mainly want to make sure that it has plenty of power to get 13 or so gallons of wort from 150 to a boil in reasonable time, and is easy to control the boil once I get it there.

I also have HD gift cards that will basically pay for it, but there are definitely other things that I could spend them on if this is not a good purchase.

I used to use a sq-14 for my HLT burner. It was efficient, but not very quick. Its okay if you have time. I would start it heating my sparge water about an hour before I started brewing. (10 gallons of water)

Back