Should I weigh down the dry hop bag in my keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
So I'm going to be dry hopping in the keg soon ( with a fine mesh bag of course), and I was wondering if it should add a weight onto it? Does it really make a difference? If not, there's a huge advantage to just letting it float, since I can easily remove it after a week or so, and I can be sure it won't block the dispensing tube.

So I'm going to be dry hopping in the keg soon ( with a fine mesh bag of course), and I was wondering if it should add a weight onto it? Does it really make a difference? If not, there's a huge advantage to just letting it float, since I can easily remove it after a week or so, and I can be sure it won't block the dispensing tube.

i never have with great results. also, i found 3-5 days to be the best time for a dry hop IMO.

Like many things, it seems to be a matter of personal preference, but don't feel like doing it one way or another will make or break your beer.

FWIW, I usually add about 10-15 sanitized marbles to my dry hop bag and sink it. But I dry hop in a carboy, so I can rack the beer off it after 5-7 days. For kegging, you may want to just let it float unless you've got a plan for getting it out.

I just use a few stainless steel washers added to the hop bag. Can stay in anytime between 3 days to 3 weeks depending on the brew.

Back