Need ideas for Blue Moon Clone additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellicit

Reaction score
Im looking to make a sort of Blue Moon clone but I want to improve on it.

This is what I have so far, any ideas for good specialty grains to add?

6 lbs. Wheat DME
1 lbs. Clover Honey
1.0 oz. Liberty (60 min)
1.0 oz. Liberty (40 min)
0.5 oz. Coriander (crushed, 30 min)
1.0 oz. Amarillo (flameout)
1.0 oz. Sweet Orange (at secondary)
0.5 oz. Bitter Orange (at secondary)
WhiteLabs Hefeweizen Ale Yeast

If you are making a clone, get rid of the honey, the flameout hop addition, and replace the hefe yeast with a neutral ale yeast like Wyeast 1056 (liz) or Fermentis S-05 (dry).

Or, don't call it a blue moon clone; it's going to be nothing close, especially with that yeast.

If you want a hefe with clove and/or banana, keep the yeast and remove the flameout hops. Otherwise, the esters from the yeast and the honey will be fighting those late hops.

Nice, thanks for the idea.... Yeah it started as a clone then I just perverted it :) I think I'll have another one.

I also wanted to try something different to my Blue Moon clone so I added 1/2# of honey malt grain to the bill and using 1 oz Cascade at beginning of 60 minute boil. I have it in the secondary now and waiting to rack it so I have no report on how it tastes. I guess this doesn't help much then does it??? LOL.

search on here for Wayne1 's BM recipe. he was at Coors when it was developed.

basically, your spice additions, hops & yeast are all wrong....and you need oats
;)

oh, i now see you dont really want a "clone".
ok good luck!

Back