Will a HERMS system work on 1-2 BBL system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger9913

Reaction score
I am about to start building a system capable of up to 2 BBL's. Right now I'm running a 3 keg, HERMS configured system. I was wondering if the same system will work doing bigger batches.

I am planning on installing a 50' 3/4 copper coil in either a 55 gallon SS drum or a standard 15 gallon keg. I am really leaning towards using the standard keg because of shorter heating times and less water. I feel like 1/2" ID tubing will not allow enough wort flow for a 1-2 BBL system.

Would a RIMS system fit better in this situation?

FYI - I'm using a BCS-460 currently, and plan to use it on the new system.

For a 1-2 bbl system I question the need for a true HERMS
you are talking about 40 to 100lb of grain and the time it takes to change the mash temp is going to be huge.

What are you going to such a big system for?
2 bbl is 30 cases of 22 oz bottles !!

Are you going electric? I would as the wasted energy (using gas/propane ) will be huge if your using a boil kettle of 80 + gallons

Well, I am planning on ordering a 2BBL system from THESE guys. I have some longer terms goals of going pro and I want to work out the kinks on a larger systems. I am planning to go all electric with 3 elements in the BK. However, I decided that there is no need to buy a fancy $1700 HLT when I can use a 55g SS drum I have. I was also planning on mounting a 3/4" or 7/8" 50' coil in a 15.5 gallon keg and use that as my heat exchanger. I will be using the new Nanobrewery pump from March that can move a significant amount of liquid.

Well, yes either 1 or 2 BBL. When I go pro I would be doing 2 BBLS. I definately plan on keeping it simple and growing a little at a time. While a HERMS might not be the best choice I figure I will at least need to find a way to regulate and increase temps by small amounts.

Back