Batch #2... Forgot to check for airlock activity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eighteez

Reaction score
Until the 48hr mark.

Nothing going on.

Should I just leave it?

Or open it up and look? And if I look, what am I looking for?

Well, if you wonder if it's fermenting, you could open the top and take a peak if you want. You can see if there are any signs of fermentation, like a ring of crud around the top of the beer or any foam on top, or basically anything other than the way it looked when you put it in there!

Well, if you wonder if it's fermenting, you could open the top and take a peak if you want. You can see if there are any signs of fermentation, like a ring of crud around the top of the beer or any foam on top, or basically anything other than the way it looked when you put it in there!

One thing I've tried to check for the krausen ring is to use a small flashlight up against the edge of the ale pail. If the room is dark enough, you can see that ring's dark outline, indicating that the big fermentation's already taken place. And without adding more risk of infection.

yeah, there was definitely something going on in there. Its very uneven and "mountainous" looking in spots....

\m/ \m/

yeah, there was definitely something going on in there. Its very uneven and "mountainous" looking in spots....

\m/ \m/

Sounds perfect! I'm new to homebrewing myself so I know how the "is this going OK?" anxiety feels. I did my second batch in a carboy so I could watch the fermentation just for fun. It's pretty amazing!

My first batch never had any airlock activity that I saw, incidentally. But I just sampled it the other day (so about 2 weeks in) and it's definitely beer. Warm, flat beer, but beer nonetheless. Can't wait to bottle it next week.

Back