Dried Chipotle Chiles Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

headfullahops

Reaction score
I am planning on making a batch of amber ale with chipotle chiles. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as amounts to use and when to dose them for a 5gal batch? I was thinking 2oz in the last minute or two of the boil and 4oz for the last 3-4 days of the secondary. I cook with the peppers all the time but I would like to make an informed decision before I run it on a batch of brew. Thanks in advance!

Never made a chipotle beer, but a friend has. He just put them in like dry hops. Not sure on amounts though. I think it gets smokey and hot pretty quick though.

I recently did a beer with hatch green chilies, which are very mild. I can offer you these thoughts:

1. If you toss the chilies in the boil you'll get less flavor/aroma than if you add them in secondary. However, they will be sanitized by the boil.

2. It doesn't take a lot of chilies to add flavor/heat/aroma. It would be better to add less to start and then add more as desired.

3. As with all things beer, time changes flavor. I found when I first added the chilies (I added both fresh and roasted peppers) within a couple of days there was heat but not a lot of flavor. A couple more days in there was mild flavor and mild heat. Six days in there was little heat (no surprise since they are mild peppers) and a bold, complex chili flavor. So you may want to consider what kind of chili flavor you want to determine your addition schedule. You may even want to add two additions to balance chili flavor and chili heat.

Back