Taking Primary Fermenter in a car

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Living in NYC where most apartments (including mine) do not have central AC makes it hard to home brew in the summer because only certain rooms have window unit ACs and leaving them running can get quite expensive. As such, I had an idea to move my primary fermenter to my parents house in NJ by car. Meaning, I'd have my brother pick me up from my AC and quickly bring the fermenter to the car that'll be cool already and sit with it for the 30-40 minute car ride to NJ.

Is this a good idea?

Is it possible for you to brew in NJ in the summer, thus avoiding the car trip? If not, I don't see too many issues with driving with a primary full of brew, as long as you seal it up so it won't spill.

Make sure you buckle it up so it's safe during the trip. Would be shame if any harm came to such young beer. :D

yeah, don't pitch the yeast til you get to your parents.

and you won't be able to move it from your parents until its bottled or kegged, as the drive back to the city will put too much oxygen into the finished beer.

i toasted a mostly full keg by driving it on a dirt road after hours on the interstate. kept cold, but the keg leaked so it wasn't sealed with CO2 well enough and tasted like old damp brown paper bags when I got home.

Back