Questions about Hop Ottin IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
First of all, i'm wondering if i'm the only person in the world that thinks hop ottin ipa is absolutely an incredible ipa (my personal favorite). second, i was just wondering if anyone knew the hop schedule or grain bill or at least what kinds are used?

First of all, i'm wondering if i'm the only person in the world that thinks hop ottin ipa is absolutely an incredible ipa

Well, between the 2 of us you are the only one :D

Seriously though, IMO it's too malt forward and even borders on being cloyingly sweet.

I prefer a nice dry IPA that lets the hops shine.

And sorry, I don't have any info on the recipe, although a guy who used to work at the LHBS where I work now works at Anderson Valley. If I can find out any info, I'll post it here

:mug:

are you serious man? this is the dryest ipa i can find...thats why i love it so much, and i taste no sweetness. prior to this, sweetwater ipa and two hearted ale were probably my favorites, but hop ottin is more bitter than both and i like the grain bill a lot more. what is your favorite ipa then? i probably can't find better because i live in alabama...

Hop Ottin is a tasty brew. It can be really cloying depending on the batch.
I find it pretty fresh here in CA, but if It travels -- many things could affect it.

are you serious man? this is the dryest ipa i can find...thats why i love it so much, and i taste no sweetness. prior to this, sweetwater ipa and two hearted ale were probably my favorites, but hop ottin is more bitter than both and i like the grain bill a lot more. what is your favorite ipa then? i probably can't find better because i live in alabama...

I get a ton of crystal malt character out of hop ottin'. I haven't had it in a while though, so it's possible that my mind's palate is mistaken. I think further research is needed. :cross:

My favorite IPA or IIPA's are (in no particular order)

Union Jack (I live 30 mins from the brewery and get it super fresh, which helps)
RR Pliny
Stone Ruination
Ballast Point Sculpin
Bear Republic Racer 5

I also like Big Daddy by Speakeasy, but I've had some bad bottles of it at times.

i appreciate it yall...i think what has happened is i live in the absolute worst state ever (we don't allow over 16oz of beer in a container) and i don't have access to the best ipa's in the country. i think i might plan a trip to oregon or california soon i've been wanting to go out there really bad for a while...

see every beer you just named i've never even heard of. wow alabama sucks. i have had rogue yellow snow ipa and i have to say i really really like it, although it is overwhelmingly malty more than hoppy as all of rogue's beers are i think.

I think freshness is the single most important thing for an IPA. I'm lucky to live in CA, so I can get most of these reasonably fresh.

You could probably get some Dogfish Head out there. There 60 min IPA is pretty dry. I haven't had it in a while either, but I remember enjoying it. The 90 min is too sweet IMO though.

i dont know why i haven't moved yet. the beer selection sucks, the state is run by christian/conservative values. the punishment for growing over 10 marijuana plants in alabama is worse than first degree rape. Let me repeat that. If i plant 10 seeds in the ground, i will recieve a harsher punishment than if i rape a woman and destroy her whole life. With that being said...we are really smart down here, and i completely promote the spread of our wonderful genetics.....:ban:

Latest posts

Back