Best yeast for true brew nut brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhochman

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm getting set to make my second batch, which will be a True Brew Nut Brown Ale kit (my last true brew, but I bought it with the hardware kit).

As many of you know, the true brew kits come with the Muntons dry ale yeast. From everything I've been reading, I'm thinking this yeast is not really up for the job with this kit. I have a packet of Notty on its way, but then I noticed that a large amount of Nut Brown Ale kits on AHS recommend the Windsor Yeast. One nut brown kit there recommends the Notty, and one actually recommends the Muntons gold yeast (no, I didn't look at every single (Nut) Brown Ale kit.

So should I run to the LHBS (just discovered that there's one 5! minutes from work) and get a packet of Windsor?

The other ingredients are 3.3 lbs of light hopped LME, 1 lb of light DME, 1 lb, of Amber DME, 1 lb of brown sugar, three specialty grains (chocolate malt, dark crystal and, roasted barley), and finishing hops: UK fuggle.

Thanks,

I prefer drier Nut Browns, so I'd go with Nottingham. If you want a sweeter ale, Windsor will attenuate less.

As a liquid choice, I would go with Wyeast 1028 London Ale, very similar to Notty but a little less tart IMO.

White Labs Irish Ale yeast. I won't take a paragraph to defend this choice, trust me or don't, but it worked amazingly on mine.

White Labs Irish Ale yeast. I won't take a paragraph to defend this choice, trust me or don't, but it worked amazingly on mine.

Hmmm, just read up on this one. Looks really interesting and certainly appropriate.

I'm concerned that I may need a blow off tube. I don't have one yet, I just have the plastic primary that came with a standard three piece airlock. Should I expect blow off (I think that's what it's called).

Try Wyeast 1028, 1098, 1275, and 1335 in parallel 1 gallon batches for side by side comparison. White Labs also has some very good yeasts for nut browns.

I think I'm going to stick with the Notty I originally selected. I don't want to get started with liquid yeast just yet (this is only my second bath). Thanks for all the advice, though.

what is the problem w/ the yeast that comes with it? I brewed the TB Nut brown w/ the Ale yeast that came with it....just curious.

Latest posts

Back