Stalled Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazin

Reaction score
I'm currently working on an RJ Spangols Grand Cru kit (Californian Syrah) that I've run into some problems with.

On June 7th, I racked my wine into secondary. After about 15 days, I took an SG reading, which was 1.000. I waited another few days (3-4) and took a second reading. Again, 1.000. I gave my wine a stir and then pitched some new yeast to get the last little bit of fermentation done (as the kit recommends a SG of 0.998 before stabilizing/clearing). I waited another 5 days, and again, 1.000.

Any recommendations on what I should try next to get this wine to finish?

Your wine is finished. You don't really need to get that precise with your measurements. What a computer or formula tells you your yeast SHOULD do isn't always what they will do.

One trick some people use to check if their wine has any unfermented sugar is urine analysis sticks. They are for diabetics to check if there is sugar in their urine but work just as well with wine. If you know someone who works in health (doctor, nurse etc) they may be able to "borrow " one for you, but you need a container to read the result off.

Back