how much priming sugar to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
ok guys normal i just keg my beer but i only have two 5 gallon kegs and i made 3 batches of beer.. pluse the batch of beer i made is a 7gallon batch but after i transfer it and with the loss i had from the beer exploding i figure i will have about 6 gallons...

now how much sugar do i use ? now i really like my beer well carbonated .... oh and the type of beer is a belgian wheat with agava in it..

I use Tasty's calculator to determine the amount of priming sugar when bottling. When priming a keg, I use 1/4 of a cup of table sugar for English ales (less carbonated), or 1/3 of table sugar for American and Belgian ales (more carbonated). Sometimes, when I have too much beer to rack it to a keg, I bottle just a few bottles and use single priming drops from Coopers.

i remember about a year ago there was a chart that i saw that showed the amount of co2 , and i wanted to go with the highest lvl amount of co2...does anybody know this chart im think of

I use 3/4 cup of table sugar for a 5 gallon batch (actually 4.5 gallons or so). I actually don't like too much carbonation, you probably could use a full cup but I don't know when you start risking bottle bombs.

I use Tasty's calculator to determine the amount of priming sugar when bottling. When priming a keg, I use 1/4 of a cup of table sugar for English ales (less carbonated), or 1/3 of table sugar for American and Belgian ales (more carbonated). Sometimes, when I have too much beer to rack it to a keg, I bottle just a few bottles and use single priming drops from Coopers.

+1 for the tasty brew calc. Much better and more accurate than just measuring a set amount.

oh when i boil the sugar in water .. how much water should i use?

I like to use 1 ounce of corn sugar (by weight) per finished gallonf of beer for most of my well carbed beers. The amount of water doesn't matter- usually two cups is enough to dissolve all of the sugar well and not be too thick.

I like to use 1 ounce of corn sugar (by weight) per finished gallonf of beer for most of my well carbed beers. The amount of water doesn't matter- usually two cups is enough to dissolve all of the sugar well and not be too thick.

Great point here. Get a digital scale and weigh the priming sugar.

After the fermintation. How do you know how much wort/beer you have to bottle? I'm brewing a 5gal batch. Once I rack it into my bottling bucket I expect less. What confuses me is that people are putting the sugar in first them racking the wort. I understand oxidation. Mind you I'm using a glass carboy primary. My BB has the gallon mesuments.

The amount you lose is really not that much, maybe 6oz. It's not enough to affect your measurements really.

After the fermintation. How do you know how much wort/beer you have to bottle? I'm brewing a 5gal batch. Once I rack it into my bottling bucket I expect less. What confuses me is that people are putting the sugar in first them racking the wort. I understand oxidation. Mind you I'm using a glass carboy primary. My BB has the gallon mesuments.
Just ballpark it. 6-12oz of brew is likely under a gram of dextrose anyway. And a gram or even two divided by nearly 5 gallons worth of bottles is insignificant. You should know by now that brewing is not an exact science.:drunk:

Latest posts

Back