Can I fry chicken wings in my turkey fryer? Any one have any recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jolly McStanson

Reaction score
BJs whole sale club has a sale on chicken wings. I was thinking about making some but I dont have a fryer. I could put them in the oven, but they wont tastes as good. I have a bunch of peanut oil. I also have a block of lard.

I could probably use a small pot and heat up oil outside. I could even use the original kettle. That's the one I make beer with.

I'm not much of a cook and have know Idea how to make chicken wings. I'M sure someone here does.

you can do them in a small pot with the peanut oil. Just lightly coat the wings in flour, then deep fry till done. Take them out of the fryer and place them on a paper towel.

At this point, you can either cover them in buffalo or teryaki sauce. for either buffalo or teryiaki wings.

Use a dutch oven on your propane cooker if you have one. You can cook twenty five or thirty wings at a time using a dutch oven as a deep fryer. It holds the heat in very well. Don't put flour on them. That's not the real "Buffalo" way. I grew up In Buffalo and have eaten many a wing. If you want, brine the wings for a half hour in a gallon of water with a quarter cup of sugar and a quarter cup of kosher salt. This will make them juicy and tender inside and crispy and golden on the outside. Rinse them well after they are done brining and dry them as best you can. Get your oil up to 375 and put the wings in. MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT FROZEN! As soon as you put them in the oil you need to crank up the burner and get the oil back up to 375 ASAP. Don't go over though or you will burn the oil and the wings. Cook them for twelve minutes. Remove the wings and place them in a large tupperware on paper towels to drain some of the oil off. Immediately remove the paper towels and pour your sauce on top of the wings. Put the lid on and shake like hell. You will have to "burp" the lid a few times or the heat will cause it to blow off and make a huge mess. Eat immediately with bleu cheese dressing and celery. Never use ranch! These will be the best wings you have ever had...guaranteed! I make them once every few weeks. They're not healthy but that is not why you eat wings.

Wing sauce:

1/2 cup clarified butter
1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce (you HAVE to use Frank's...Walmart grocery store sells a 64 oz. jug for about five bucks)
a few shakes of ground cayenne pepper
a few shakes of Tabasco Sauce

mix all in a small pan and bring to almost a boil. Add cayenne and Tabasco to taste. You can make them as hot as you want this way.

Bleu cheese dressing:

4 oz. Maytag bleu cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup Hellman's mayo
two tablespoon's lemon juice
dash of worchester sauce
1/4 cup of buttermilk
dash of cayenne
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1/2 clove of garlic minced

Mix all ingrediants and refigerate for a little while to blend flavors

Oh god that sounds good. wow! I'm going to give it a whirl. I dont think I can screw this recipe up.
Trust me, you will have friends that you haven't seen in ten years at your house once word gets around. These are the apfelwein of chicken wings. I get sick of people asking me to make them for parties, etc. If the wings aren't separated make sure you do it. It's easy to cut the drum stick and wing tip off. Throw out the tips. Use a sharp kitchen knife and you'll get the hang of it in no time. I use a really sharp meat clever and just slice right at the joint. Slice though...don't hack at them like you are trying to chop wood!

Have you got a grill? I strongly prefer grilled wings over deep-fried. The grill gives them a wonderful flavor, and a lot of the fat renders out resulting in a healthier and less greasy wing. I use a dry rub with both chile and brown sugar, and grill them over fairly high heat...keeping a close eye on them to avoid burning. Once they are evenly crispy, I toss them into the sauce.

Have you got a grill? I strongly prefer grilled wings over deep-fried. The grill gives them a wonderful flavor, and a lot of the fat renders out resulting in a healthier and less greasy wing. I use a dry rub with both chile and brown sugar, and grill them over fairly high heat...keeping a close eye on them to avoid burning. Once they are evenly crispy, I toss them into the sauce.

I will agree with you. A grilled chicken wing is quite tasty. Try smoking a batch of wings. It takes longer but they turn out pretty damn good.

I could even use the original kettle. That's the one I make beer with.

Never. Ever. EVER use your brewpot for anything else than beer. Unless you want your beer to taste like chicken wings from there out. :drunk:

I haven't tried Alton's recipe yet, but I will say every recipe of his I've done is fantastic. When I make 'em, I just coat 'em in seasoned flour (salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, etc), then egg wash, then seasoned flour again. Let 'em sit for 10 mins or so while the peanut oil's heating. 10 mins at 365°, then toss 'em in some Franks hot sauce (sometimes with some melted butter in it too). If you don't like 'em too saucy, put 'em on a sheet pan in the oven at it's lowest setting for a few minutes.

Cheers!

+1 on the grilled wings. Try it for a new twist; you won't be disapointed. Just be sure not to let the skin blacken; beware of flare-ups. Also, +1 on Frank's for the sauce. Can't beat it. I cook these all the time, and my friends prefer them over fried wings. Plus they are healthier, as previously mentioned (if you care about longevity and such).
My 2 cents
Now I'm off to go buy some wings. I got a hankerin.

I've made wings from scratch in the turkey fryer (I've actually fried turkeys as well) but when a bunch of guys are watching fights and getting their drink on the Tyson frozen wings are fairly decent.

Not a replacement for doing your own fry-up, but good in a pinch.

No you cannot fry chicken wings in a turkey fryer. What part of turkey fryer do you not get??? Don't you think they would have called it a chicken wing fryer if you could cook chicken wings in it?

:fro:

I haven't read all the responses but I love chicken wings...and I love them Buffalo style. I am also very opinionated on them...this is just my take:

Buffalo wings do not have breading...I don't care what some menu somewhere says...if it says they're breaded and that they're 'buffalo-style' they're wrong. Buffalo wings do not get breaded...ever. I love Fried Chicken (the kind that does get breaded) but when I'm making wings I'm making Buffalo wings. I have a fryer at home and make buffalo wings and fried chicken all the time. Fried chicken gets coated with flour...buffalo wings are naked.

You are correct about not using an oven. Buffalo wings must be crispy and wings from an oven or grill always end up as wannabes imo. Sure...they'll still taste good...they're friggin chicken wings...kinda hard to screw them up. But they aren't Buffalo wings...which rulez.

Shake the wings in the sauce as soon as they come out of the fryer...very important. You want the uber-hot wing to vaporize all that vinegar in the sauce leaving just the spices and butter. And don't cover them in a container...that ruins the crispiness. Let that vapor evaporate and the wing magically stays crispy.

They are so simple but so many places screw it up. Just fry 'em til crispy then immediately shake 'em in the wing sauce (hot sauce plus butter...adjusted for your amount of heat...that's it).:)

No you cannot fry chicken wings in a turkey fryer. What part of turkey fryer do you not get??? Don't you think they would have called it a chicken wing fryer if you could cook chicken wings in it?

:fro:

lol, I dont have a indoor fryer. Using the Turkey fryer out side seems safer. Plus indoor frying will smoke the whole house up. My kitchen doesnt have a fan.

mmb said:
Tyson frozen wings are fairly decent.

Iv had them, and there great. Tyson sells just plain wings with out anything on them I think. You add the sauce.

Well, wear your apron while tending to the deep fryer in the kitchen...wouldn't want to get splashed!

The men will be out by the grill, with a beer and a cigar! :D

Hey now, I fry chicken fingers with an apron on. Although I get paid to do it, so I guess it's all good. However I do like grilling much more. Deer burgers... mmmm.

The man is from Buffalo; he knows his wings.

@RayInUT - Good to see someone who really takes their wings seriously. Excellent recipe and strikingly similar to my own.

The man is from Buffalo; he knows his wings.

@RayInUT - Good to see someone who really takes their wings seriously. Excellent recipe and strikingly similar to my own.
I should have read the responses:eek:...his recipe is almost exactly like mine too (not surprising since it's so simple and such few ingredients unless you make your own Blue Cheese dressing). Like I said...sooooo simple yet so many places get it wrong. KISS rule applies here for sure imo.

Only thing I would reiterate is don't leave that lid on the tupperware after you shake them...you want most of that vinegar to vaporize off and leave the wing crispy. Leaving them covered just 'steams' them and ruins the crispiness.

Also, for variety sometimes I'll add a little garlic powder to the wing sauce. That's my 'garlic wing'.:)

Take it for what this is worth, but to save a few bucks buy the big bag of frozen wings. I have thrown frozen wings on the grill with great success. I usually make my own wing sauce but using frozen wings and some franks redhot, you literally have a 20 minute meal.

I should have read the responses:eek:...his recipe is almost exactly like mine too (not surprising since it's so simple and such few ingredients unless you make your own Blue Cheese dressing). Like I said...sooooo simple yet so many places get it wrong. KISS rule applies here for sure imo.

Only thing I would reiterate is don't leave that lid on the tupperware after you shake them...you want most of that vinegar to vaporize off and leave the wing crispy. Leaving them covered just 'steams' them and ruins the crispiness.

Also, for variety sometimes I'll add a little garlic powder to the wing sauce. That's my 'garlic wing'.:)
I ONLY leave the lid on while actually shaking so I don't get sauce all over the place. Immediately take the lid off and eat! They are best hot and frsh from the oil. In the eighties in Buffalo all the bars used to have five cent wing night. The catch was that the wings were hotter than hell so you had to order lots of beer. They usually had fifty cent drafts though so it still wasn't a bad deal. We used to go to Cassatta's Dome Stadium in Tonawanda for beer and wings. They had free popcorn too that had like a pound of salt per kernal of corn.

Cover wings with a sweet rub (turbinado sugar, paprika, salt, cayenne, black pepper, etc). Smoke for 45 minutes at 300°F over light pecan/apple wood. Coat with the wing sauce of your choice. No frying...perfect flavor...

I ONLY leave the lid on while actually shaking so I don't get sauce all over the place.
Haha, yea that stuff will stain!

I really need to try your Blue Cheese recipe. Most of the store bought stuff is garbage imo. Soybean oil and chemicals and some spices...mmmmmmm.:confused:

Do Buffalo-ians dip the wing in the Blue Cheese dressing? Or is that blasphemy?:D I always do...and I always try to get a BC chunk to stick on there too.

Take it for what this is worth, but to save a few bucks buy the big bag of frozen wings. I have thrown frozen wings on the grill with great success. I usually make my own wing sauce but using frozen wings and some franks redhot, you literally have a 20 minute meal.

I found some "Sweet Baby Rays" wing sauce next to the RedHot last time at the store. Ray's is some pretty good IMO BBQ sauce. I'll try it this weekend for wings.

I usually just use RedHot and butter... Maybe a shoot-out is in order.
idea.gif

I make the Alton Brown recipe wings about once a week or so. SWMBO and I love them. Also, every person who has ever tried them says they are the best tasting wings they ever had. The trick is steaming them first, then baking them. They are really crunchy and juicy.

That being said, I changed the recipe for his sauce a bit. I found that the 3oz of butter that his recipe calls for is WAY to much. I use 1oz of butter, 1/4 of Frank's Red Hot, 1 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tsp of salt, and about 3 tsp of habernero sauce.

When I saw AB's wing recipe I was screaming at the TV...."Noooooooo! ALTON! WTF are you doing! I have lost all respect for you!!!!!!"

But that was never having tried his exact method so maybe I'm wrong and they do come out great. I'm still very skeptical...I've just never had a non-fried buffalo wing that was as good as a deep fried buffalo wing.

As an example, I just saw an episode on tortillas/leftovers where he made nachos. He made some 3-tiered contraption and individually placed ingredients on individual chips...3-tiers worth. L-O-effing-L! Sometimes the dude just gets way too cute for his own good because those nachos were ridiculously difficult and time consuming to make. Nachos are ready...but the game is over.:( I'll still watch though.:)

KISS rule Alton...you're getting away from the KISS rule sir.

I agree with the nachos but I have done the wings and they were amazing. I've had my share of wings and am very particular about them and those wings are up there as some of the best i've ever had. I didn't use his sauce though. I have my own that I have been using for a while.

We did Alton's wings before. FRIED RULES! This is like debating a fish fry vs. baked haddock and steamed french fries. Deep frying wins every time.

All right. You can fry wings. BUT. You don't need to. I'm sure i'll get smashed for this one, and believe me I'm as much an advocate of the deep fryer as anyone here. (I deep fry my short ribs) BUT. Chicken wings have so much fatty goodness that you don't need to fry them. Even Alton has changed his mind. This is the much more home friendly method. Steam them for about 10 minutes or so. Then season them (S&P) and pop them in a 400* oven for 20 minutes. Remove, turn them over, and repeat (20 more minutes)
Toss in whatever the hell you want. Alternately, bake them about 10 minutes in a convection oven, if you're spoiled enough to have one!

All right. You can fry wings. BUT. You don't need to. I'm sure i'll get smashed for this one, and believe me I'm as much an advocate of the deep fryer as anyone here. (I deep fry my short ribs) BUT. Chicken wings have so much fatty goodness that you don't need to fry them. Even Alton has changed his mind. This is the much more home friendly method. Steam them for about 10 minutes or so. Then season them (S&P) and pop them in a 400* oven for 20 minutes. Remove, turn them over, and repeat (20 more minutes)
Toss in whatever the hell you want. Alternately, bake them about 10 minutes in a convection oven, if you're spoiled enough to have one!

Thanks Chef, gonna give that a try next. I do like fried wings but I don't really enjoy the house smelling like a grease pit for a day afterward. :mad:

Thanks Chef, gonna give that a try next. I do like fried wings but I don't really enjoy the house smelling like a grease pit for a day afterward. :mad:

Exactly. I love fried food, some of the best pork chops and hot dogs I have ever had were deep fried. I just don't like doing it at home unless I am going to be doing a ton of food. I just think its a waste of money and oil.

Exactly. I love fried food, some of the best pork chops and hot dogs I have ever had were deep fried. I just don't like doing it at home unless I am going to be doing a ton of food. I just think its a waste of money and oil.

Keep the FryDaddy in the fridge with a lid and filter your oil with cheese cloth. Ends up keeping for a while.

Don't filter with coffee filters. Just makes a huge mess. :(

I have done that but I just don't fry often enough and it still goes rancid. I usually filter it back into the gallon container though. And the fryer is just such a pain in the ass to clean.

Back