Surpisingly disappointed with a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontman

Reaction score
I just tapped my final mini keg of a batch I did back in August. That is somewhere along the lines of 10-12 weeks in keg. It is totally boring. The hops are gone. It seems even the bittering hops are gone. It was already low in IBUs. It was a Cream Ale with about 19 IBUs.

This was excellent when it was young.

I think I will plan for this in the future. If my IBUs are so low I will drink it young while there is still some trace of flavor.

On the plus side it is crystal clear now. No sign of the chill haze that it had the last time I tried it.

I don't think Cream Ales age very well because . . well . . .they are low in IBUs and I just think darker more complicated beers age better.

your SWMBO: "are you THAT piss drunk again?!"
you: "cmon baby i gotta drink it before the hops escape."

there's an upside to everything i guess :rockin:

your SWMBO: "are you THAT piss drunk again?!"
you: "cmon baby i gotta drink it before the hops escape."

there's an upside to everything i guess :rockin:

That is what I was thinking. Right now I have 81 gallons of beer in my house that I have to drink before the end of February.

It is totally boring. The hops are gone. It seems even the bittering hops are gone. It was already low in IBUs. It was a Cream Ale with about 19 IBUs.

There were never any hops to start with at 19ibu's ;). I did a cream ale for a friend (not my style of beer), and it lasted him nearly 6 month's. I tried some recently and it was still good.

There were never any hops to start with at 19ibu's ;). I did a cream ale for a friend (not my style of beer), and it lasted him nearly 6 month's. I tried some recently and it was still good.

It is actually at the very top end of the specs for Cream Ales based on style guidelines. Any higher and it wouldn't be a cream ale anymore. ;)

And to be honest I think most people would still find this beer really good. Its just that compared to how this beer was at 4 weeks in bottle it is not as good. I missed its prime.

You know, on fifth thought, this beer is still quite good. I think the other night I had tainted my palate with a too heavy beer to serve as a precursor to this beer.

I am drinking one right now and it is good for what it is. A light session beer.

79 Gallons of beer to go.

Back