set it and forget it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
I syphoned thursday at 12:12 (noonish)

I am drinking it now, the FINEST Kolsch I have tasted since my last schlafly.....at 10:58 pm saturday. Perfectly carbed. NO shaking, no rolling, no effort.

I syphoned it, warm, 60 hours ago, pressurized the keg to 57PSI, immediately placed in my 2nd fridge(;)) at 36F or so.

Just hooked up the tap and DAMN. not quite FULLY carbed, but sweet and drinkable to say the least.

Nothing wrong with shaking and rolling, but its just not me.

2 days and perfect to serve? why not.

Enjoy.

57 PSI??? do you mean 5-7 psi, or do you really mean 57? If it is 57 psi, this sounds a lot like the burst carbonating method, where you blast it with a high pressure for a while, then bleed it off to serving pressure. Usually the set and forget method is where you would set it to serving pressure (5-10 psi) and let it sit for a couple weeks, so its similar to bottle conditioning.

NO BLEEDING brother.

(unless my system leaks)

short of that, I have re-invented the wheel.......

bask in the ramifications............;)

but seriously, no bleeding.

Is that important?

Well if your system was at 57 psi, and you didn't bleed and don't have a leak, I would be SHOCKED if you didn't pour all foam.

OH HELL!!!!

I did bleed the kegs since they said 15 PSI. But only a little.

2 KEGS bitches. That equals a subject and a CONTROL.

soooooooo......either they both leak or I am loving life......

WTF am I sAYING?????

I am loving life.

The caramel amber is hoppier than I wanted, but the KOLSCH is REVOLTINGLY GOOD.

I am digging out my notes on both brews..........

I quite sure this method is viable but I agree it,s a modified version of set and forget. Maybe "single-charge burst carbing". You would be able to get closer to fully carbed if it was cold first.

I wasn't saying I invented this. Just that I know a lot of brewers who are shaking, rolling, all but making love to their kegs, and for what? Don't you have something else to drink?

Save your back, set it and forget it.

I think it's important to note that this isn't a true set and forget. If you put your keg to 53 psi and then accidently forget it for a few weeks you'll surely be over carbonated.

Did you pressurize the keg to 57psi and then disconnect and cool it?

For those that want to know, kegs are only rated for 60PSI.

yeah. this is what I was about to day. 57 is pushing it. the pressure release valves are meant to vent on their own if you exceed a safe pressure, but I don't know how well I would trust that back-up device.

I use Sanke kegs, they are all stamped at 60PSI. I just assumed that the cornies would be rated the same.

yes! That's where the number "60" in my head came from! I was going nuts there for a bit trying to remember.

I look forward to trying all the various carbing options now that I finally have a keg set-up!

Now, with this set-it-and-forget it option, does it still keep two vegetables piping hot? :D

I think it's important to note that this isn't a true set and forget. If you put your keg to 53 psi and then accidently forget it for a few weeks you'll surely be over carbonated.

It was at 15 lbs when I went to test it Saturday night, and arguably, it was slightly undercarbed. I think it would have been about perfect, but slight overcarbonation after weeks could be a slight possiblity.

Did you pressurize the keg to 57psi and then disconnect and cool it?

Yes.

Syphon, seal it up, charge to 53 psi, unhook gas (and tap for that matter) no reason to stress those seals. 2.5 days later, bleed to serving pressure (I like 8 psi myself) and enjoy.

Latest posts

Back