Weissbier Honey Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my contribution. I got so worried about making a "banana bomb" that I fermented a bit too low (about 62F). Very little (if any) banana, but a nice taste of clove and decent orange aroma (according to my sister....I didn't really smell it in the finished product). Nice and hazy with a thick head.

Good reviews by all....even my Dad, (edit) who thinks all of my beers are "too hoppy", said he would go back for a second.

20140709_172729.jpg

Well I certainly wouldn't call it hoppy :D

But I'm glad it is such a hit. I prefer it fermented lower as well.

I knew as soon as I posted the "doesn't like hoppy beers" sentence that someone would think I was calling it hoppy. Poor writing on my part :)

When you ferment low, does it get rid of all the banana? I am rigging up my new fermentation chamber soon, so I'd like to know what temp gives you a good banana/clove balance.

I knew as soon as I posted the "doesn't like hoppy beers" sentence that someone would think I was calling it hoppy. Poor writing on my part :)
That was just me being ridiculous :ban:

When you ferment low, does it get rid of all the banana? I am rigging up my new fermentation chamber soon, so I'd like to know what temp gives you a good banana/clove balance.

It gets rid of the vast majority, in my opinion. As a rough rule I treat 65*F as a good banana/clove balance. Lower gets more clove, higher gets more banana.

Well it turned out to be a HUGE hit at the 4th of July celebration! I got all kinds of compliments on the brew. We had 5 different beers on tap at the party (we have several home brewers in the family and we all bring some) so it was a great time. :tank: I will have to brew again so that I can have some in the kegerator at home. And in all the excitement, I forgot to take a picture but it was cloudy and color was great, just like it was suppsoed to be.

Well it turned out to be a HUGE hit at the 4th of July celebration! I got all kinds of compliments on the brew. We had 5 different beers on tap at the party (we have several home brewers in the family and we all bring some) so it was a great time. :tank: I will have to brew again so that I can have some in the kegerator at home. And in all the excitement, I forgot to take a picture but it was cloudy and color was great, just like it was suppsoed to be.

:rockin:

When you keg this and let it set at room temperature do you purge the air from the keg with C02? I would think so

I have brewed this several times...and just brewed again. This is a great easy drinking brew that is fun to make. Thanks for the recipe!!

Just wanted to say thanks for this great recipe...

My soon to be new brother in law, drinks only blue moon. So I am hoping this will be a kissing cousin for him to enjoy.

I brewed up the PM version yesterday without to many issues. However, I did plan on fermenting 5.5 gallons, but after pulling out my carboys I realized I only had 5 gallon carboys available. So my SG was slight higher due to less top off water.

Oh well, a little more alcohol never hurt a rehearsal dinner before!

I pitched the yeast pack dry (didn't have time to create a starter) and low and behold within 5 hours I had krausen build up.

I will let you know how the group likes it!

Cheers,

The hot weather and the need to turn around a quick keg to fill up my pipeline resulted in me coming back to this recipe after a couple of years. As it turns out, this is now sitting next to my annual batch of Pumpkin Ale based on Renos' Punkin Ale in the fermentation freezer.

Cheers Reno for 2 great recipes. :mug:

Here is my contribution. I got so worried about making a "banana bomb" that I fermented a bit too low (about 62F). Very little (if any) banana, but a nice taste of clove and decent orange aroma (according to my sister....I didn't really smell it in the finished product). Nice and hazy with a thick head.

Good reviews by all....even my Dad, (edit) who thinks all of my beers are "too hoppy", said he would go back for a second.

View attachment 211109

Bumping an old thread but looking for a tasty beer to put on tap for spring. This pic alone convinced me to brew this. Putting in an order now for the ingredients!

EDIT: Well, got the ingredients and mashing in now but I had to make some substitutions due to this quarantine causing the LHBS shortage on supplies. They had no Tettnang (or any other noble hops) so I had to substitute for Fuggle. Also had to use safale t-58 yeast.

Last edited:
Please post your results it sounds like an interesting brew that I'd like to try. I'm brewing right now with supplies I got a few days ago. Stuff is easy find but as the days drag on leaving the house isn't a good idea anymore. Sad times indeed.

IMG_4134.JPG

In the fermenter. Pic of the brewday. I’ll post the results in a few weeks when I keg it. Smelled amazing. The orange aroma was incredible.

Been in the keg about a week now, set and forget carbing so I pulled a glass tonight to check it out. Lots of orange on the nose, good spicy notes from the yeast and a sweetness in the back from the honey I’m assuming. This is going to go down so good in the warm weather. Thanks for the recipe!
5C5E7ABD-F096-492B-9F34-351B915F5052.jpeg

Back