ball bearing material for dry hop weight?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moger777

Reaction score
I bought what I thought was stainless steel ball bearings for dry hopping. Unfortunately the ball bearings have formed a dark gray corrosion on the outside. I was under the impression stainless steel does not corrode. It has a sulfury burnt smell to it. I will probably throw out the beer but since I took a hydrometer sample and drank a bit of it, I wanna know if I should be concerned for my health.

Definitely not stainless steel. Dark gray makes me think they were zinc plated, which would be really odd for ball bearings.

I tried a bunch of glass marbles and it was a really messy job getting the marbles out of there. Probably a good idea to put the marbles in a separate bag and tie it to the bag of hops.

Someone on HBT mentioned using glass shot glasses with no logos on them. Seems to me that'd be the easiest thing overall, especially if you're thinking of reusing the dryhops as bittering hops in a future batch.

Back