Barrel Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd be leary about what was in them to start with...I work for an environmental company...oil/haz waste? You can clean them.

They are typically mild steel. I've burned in them and they don't last too many fires without warping and breaking down. They rust like a mother.

The bottom is relatively thin and flat...might only scald your wort...and do you really need 55G? Even 10 gallons in a 55 does not take up much room...you might be better served trying to find a few 20G or 30G drums.

$15 are definitely for used...cheap enough and nothing wrong with trying.

Best of luck.

Says on the ad that they were used to hold vegetable oil so I didn't think that cleaning would be any issue.

I was considering cutting them down to be able to hold 10 gallon boils but was just concerned about the thin metal.

I'll take your word about warping under heat and rusting. Doesn't sound worth the time to modify them only to watch them fall apart. Thanks for the info, Woodstone!

Keep looking for your boil kettle. For a mash tun you can use rubermade barrels. You can buy them most any where.
You can see we used a good ss brew kettle but then used Rubbermaid barrel for both our HLT our mashtun and we did ferment a batch in one also.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/squam-lakes-brewery-pictures-144764/

100_1708.jpg

If you are hard up for cash go to Academy Sports and buy an aluminum kettle. They sell some stainless ones too that are decent prices. They have a good selection of burners too.

I'm sure it'd take a TON of solder, but could you just coat one completely in lead free solder? WAY out there idea, most likely be cheaper to just get a brand new stainless, but if so inclined...

Back