Don't be no fool -- PRINT AND KEEP YOUR RECIPES!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StickyWicket

Reaction score
Since I've started this "hobby," I've brewed some winners. And I've kept all my recipes on my computer. Many of these recipes were derived from this site or others with certain tweaks based on my tastes or what I had available at the time.

BUT -- a few days ago I ran into a computer issue that eventually required me to start over. I lost all my files. Including my recipes. And I didn't keep hard copies of any of them (why is there no "smilie" of someone crying?)

So, basically, don't do what I did. Be smart. Print. The trees you kill are worth the beer you'll brew.

OR backup your files to multiple locations. I keep a backup drive and a couple DVD-RW's for all my recipe and brew session files. Everytime I write a new recipe I copy the file to the archive disc.

I can't keep a piece of paper for anything.

Yep, what GMB said---back dem bitches up. I would cry if I lost mine. So I have them on my boot drive and then backed up on my external. I also keep them printed in a binder.

Like Evan said mine are put into bio memory, printed and onto 6 different jump drives, plus my laptop, the office computer, and some archaic clunker with a midget and an abacus inside as a processor. But hey, at least they are baked up.

I put everything in a notebook. Much handier for trips to the LHBS, while brewing, and QA sampling.

I set them up in ProMash, print them out, use the sheet to keep notes on, and then update ProMash when the beer is done.

So I have a printed record of most of my beers, in addition to a ProMash record.

Not ALL my beers, and I still slack sometimes. I have physical records of everything, however, whether I use promash or not. I'm setting up a new system at home for tracking beers, kinda like our quality control procedure here at the warehouse where I werk :)

I use Evernote for everything I want to keep. It backs all my notes up to there server and even syncs to my iphone. The best part is that when I'm at the LHBS, I can just pull out my Iphone and read off the recipe.

I like keeping in my computer because I want to search keywords.

• I formulate my recipes in BeerSmith.
  • I export my entire BSM file to Word when I have a new recipe I'm going to brew.
  • That Word file is part of my auto synch with my Treo.
  • I then copy that specific recipe to Excel to print out for brew day.
  • I keep a clipboard in the brewshop that has every beer I've brewed along with brew-day and tasting notes.

...oh yeah...once a week, I back up all of my "My Documents" (where my BSM files reside) to an external hard drive.

I keep the vast majority of my stuff (including Beersmith) on a Linux server at home running Samba so any of my Windows PCs can access it. I periodically backup the server with tar to an external drive.

..once a week, I back up all of my "My Documents" (where my BSM files reside) to an external hard drive.

Ha.

I back up my entire BeerSmith program folder. It would suck to have to set all those DB's back up again (variants, inventory, correct pricings).

Matter of fact, if ProMash ever does release a new build (not counting on it)I'll be hard pressed to switch given this.

I cheat. I'm a network admin, I have my files backed up along with our data at work. To tape and to SAN at the Disaster Recovery location off site!!!!!!!!

I had a similar problem with a virus on my work computer. Now I have copies on my blackberry and printed out in one of those circumcision binders that everyone keeps talking about.

I just email them to myself and store them in a folder . my computer may crash,but my recipes will still be waiting for me @ hotmail.

Yea I have been meaning to print all mine out for awhile, for fear of this exact scenario, but still need a new ink cartridge. I did save the BeerSmith file and uploaded it to my hosting server though.

The email yourself a copy trick works well, as does Google Documents, or other online sites that can back it up.

I print out the recipe.
Then scribble it down on a legal pad that I use when I brew.
Then I copy the legal pad scribblings into a book, with additional
info pertaining to the beer.

Google docs. Or I may just etch each recipe into the side of my carboys. Like the Stanley Cup. But see through. And more breakable.

Back