Did I make some beginner mistakes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splash

Reaction score
Made my first brew last night but a couple things didn't go exactly as planned. Can someone tell me if these mistakes are big/small and if it'll significantly affect the outcome of my beer?

First, I think I had the heat on too high at first because the pot very nearly boiled over. I caught it in time and moved the pot off the heat for a moment, but my wort was developing a thick foam on top. I wasn't sure if this was supposed to happen. I started spooning some of the foam off the top and got rid of it. I'm not sure if I was supposed to do that or if I should have just let it boil. Maybe this is nothing to be concerned about?

Second, I just moved into my apartment and I realized at the last second that I don't have a strainer or anything to strain the trub when I was pouring from my kettle into the fermenter. I tried my best to leave as much trub behind, but I'm sure a good amount got into the fermenter. Is this a problem?

Sounds like everything went well, no problems at all. However, there really isn't any need to scoop off the foam on top of the boil kettle, it will subside after a few minutes. A spray bottle helps keep it in check to prevent boil overs!

Nope nothing wrong with wut you did , except worried for no reason. The foam happens to all of us. If you learn to control it, it will dissipate after a while, or just get a bigger pot or foam control additives.

As for the trub, some folks filter it out or leave it behind, and a lot of us just toss it all in. Either way is fine.

I wouldn't worry about either of those things as long as you kept everything sanatized after the boil was completed. I don't see any issues in skimming of the foam and I never strain my wort before going into the fermenter.

A good trick for settling the trub and leaving it behind is to swirl the boil pot with a spoon. After removing your boil pot from the stove, take your spoon and start a whirlpool in the wort and let it swirl for a minute or two. This will help to push the trub to the bottom. Then when you are pouring from you pot into the fermenter, carefully pour and you can leave quite a bit of trub behind.

Back