will this grow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowlife

Reaction score
Got a fresh hops rhizome with no nubs or roots. It looks like a piece of branch off a tree. WIll it grow without nubs or roots etc? All my other rhizomes I ordered grew but nothing from this after a couple weeks.

I got a magnum twig last year and it was the only one out of three that didn't come up. This year I ordered one each of six varieties and I was worried about the Newport twig that I got that was snapped in the middle. I dug yesterday to check for viablility on three of my new plantings and the Newport was doing better than any of them. I'm not sure what "nubs" means but all that it takes to support growth is a node in the rhizome whether there are shoots starting to form or not. If you put them around two inches under the dirt and you don't see any shoots after three weeks of favorable weather I'd be tempted to go "shoot hunting". I may get flamed for making that suggestion but that's just me.

One of the Cascades that I got from them looked like a lifeless twig as well. I started in a pot indoors to see if it was even viable. Two weeks later it sprouted. You probably have nothing to worry about.

you guys were right. I dug it up. There was a new bine growing. My nugget is taking off like gangbusters though, there are about twelve bines coming out of it.

Back