When the hardware store is closed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdgabbard

Reaction score
I always seem to grab the wrong fittings when I go to the hardware store. And to make it worse, it closes at 5pm when I get off work. This typically means I have to wait until Saturday when it stays open until noon. But waiting all week for the right part is a pain. So I figured I'd share a little bit of Oklahoma ingenuity where it concerns fittings.

I'm in the process of building a very small HLT. It's a 4gal pot with 1/4" coil. Well, as my luck would have it, I meant to grab reducers to take my 1/2" bulkheads down to 1/4". Instead, I grabbed 3/8". But here is where the ingenuity comes in.

I happened to have 1/2" female threaded fittings, 1/2" couplers, and some 1/2" caps. I already decided I needed an elbow due to the size of the pot. So I decided to rig up a solution. Now bear in mind, this is meant as a temporary build that will be upgraded when 240v because accessible, or financially feasible. Below is the picture. Just remember, just because you can't find the part, or you don't have it on hand, doesn't mean you can't come up with a working solution.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1429065244.778785.jpg

Back