This fermentation is so violent it should be rated R...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synack

Reaction score
Pitched a Brewer's Best IPA kit around 11PM Friday, been battling with it all day today :D.

Luckily it waited for me to wake up and check on it. The three piece airlock was full of krausen and lid of the bucket was bulging. Popped the lid and quickly mixed some more iodophor and cleaned and sanitized.

...Then it did it again about an hour later...

...and again, after another hour, cracking the seal around the lid...

My siphon hose was too small to fit over the center of the three piece airlock; So i had to get creative with a one piece bubbler style airlock and a growler :D.

I've only got a half dozen batches under my belt, but it's the first time this ever happened. For the curious, OG was a tad less than I expected at 1.060. Five gallons in the bucket exactly, pitched the Nottingham yeast without a starter at 63 degrees...

Thinking about the nicer wine buckets with rubber seal now.

(Since i took the photo it's blown a considerable amount of krausen out... The rigged contraption is holding for now...)

Nottingham always gets violent for me on the third day. Mid sixties and it takes off.

I keep the beer at about 65 and it never fails to produce a 2 inch thick Krausen in my fermenter. After the dark Krausen comes the big bubbled creamy Krausen ( 3-5 inches ).

bosco

I took some 1 piece airlocks and cut the bottoms off of them to use as blow off tube adapters. That way I can use standard size siphon tubing (I can't remember what size that is). They work ok, but they clog easily if you're not careful. A frind of mine brewed some beer at my place once and didn't strain his wort. He just dumped the whole contents of the kettle into the fermenter (of course I didn't know this at the time). The pellet hops quickly clogged the blow off and the bucket lid shot off. I'm still not sure exactly how long it sat that way before I found it. Anyway, I got lucky, it didn't make much of a mess. Just some hop debris mostly.

Plus set the easily overflow able blow off container on something other than an electronic device....

Edit: wait is that a computer? Maybe not.

Plus set the easily overflow able blow off container on something other than an electronic device....

Edit: wait is that a computer? Maybe not.

:D

Yes, it is... It's a clunker, I work in IT so the basement is full of them...

(I was looking at the brew kettle box, but I use it to shield the carboy from daylight. It was more valuable than the broken computer :D).

I also am about 30 hours into a massive blowout fermentation with 3068 on a Hefe and I have changed out the airlock twice and it just is not going to work with an airlock. So I just took off the airlock and since there still are "foam snakes" LOL, coming out of the better bottle and CO2 pressure behind them I am going to just let it go OPEN top until it is ok to put the airlock back on. Then I will have a nice mess to clean up also. Anyone have a good blow off tube setup that works for a better bottle?

I also am about 30 hours into a massive blowout fermentation with 3068 on a Hefe and I have changed out the airlock twice and it just is not going to work with an airlock. So I just took off the airlock and since there still are "foam snakes" LOL, coming out of the better bottle and CO2 pressure behind them I am going to just let it go OPEN top until it is ok to put the airlock back on. Then I will have a nice mess to clean up also. Anyone have a good blow off tube setup that works for a better bottle?

I use a carboy cap with my better bottle. I stick a piece of 3/4" ID (I think?) tubing off of either one of the tubes coming out of the cap, and run it down into a half-gal bucket of sanitizer. I leave the little white cap that comes with the carboy cap on the other tube end until the blowoff isn't needed anymore. Then I add an airlock and remove the blowoff hose.

Worked for me so far. I just brewed a hefe on Saturday night. Used WLP300 yeast, no starter. Needed a blowoff tube less than 10 hours later. 3 straight days of rapid bubbling in the sani bucket, and its finally starting to slow down... might be able to put an airlock on tonight or tomorrow.

Does the carboy cap fit tight (orange one) I assume?

Yes, it fits pretty tight. It locks onto the top ring of the better bottle. You can rotate the cap while its on the bottle, but it doesn't leak (at least not for me), and it holds up to pretty vigorous fermentation.

It fits good on both the 3gal and 6gal better bottles. I don't have a 5gal one, so I can't say for sure, but probably fits that fine as well. Here's a pic of how mine was set up this weekend for the hefe batch.

bb with cap.jpg

Thanks beardedidiot! I did not think that they were compatible. Guess I should have tried as I have the carboy caps and tubing from previous batches where I used glass carboys. Now I am big fan of the better bottles.

I've never used a glass carboy. I've got two of the Mr. Beer fermenters, two 3gal ported better bottles, and two 6gal better bottles.

I have to say, I really like the ported ones. I just wish they weren't so damn expensive!

Back