Maibock aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezemm

Reaction score
Well, primary for 2 1/2 weeks before bottling, then waited 2 weeks and had my first taste. BOOM! Right up front it's either insane hop character (not likely), or the amount of alcohol (9.9lbs of fermentables in a 5 gallon batch) I've had experience with stouts, porters, sparkling ales, and wheat ales, but nothing quite this strong. The only thing it kinda reminds me of on initial BOOM is a young Belgian Tripel I helped a friend make. Considering it's not May yet, I have time to wait for the chill/mellow:fro:

Anyone have a good rule of thumb they use for Maibock aging?

Not much experience here, first Maibock myself, but mine has been lagering since early January and will until May. The hop flavor and alcohol harshness should calm down by then. I didn't really feel mine had those characteristics though.

The bottles are sitting at around 55 degrees...I believe since this is a bigger beer, I'm just jumping the gun. The kit specifically says this can be prepared as a lager or ale style. It is an ale yeast though (Notty).

The beer is actually very good, but that first sip just surprises you. Love the color of this stuff, but think taste trials are going to be limited until Spring is poking its head out.

I have loads of time to make it through all that Stout/Porter sitting for winter:drunk:

Let it sit around until May 1st, then have a party and drink it all. Tradition is on your side!

Back