Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superrican

Reaction score
sup guys , im completely new to this , and wondering what is the best way to start.... are the starter kits any good?? and which ones do you guys recommend?

Starter kits are good. I got the Midwest supply one when I first was getting going. Read around here and howtobrew.com first before you buy anything

sup guys , im completely new to this , and wondering what is the best way to start.... are the starter kits any good?? and which ones do you guys recommend?

Start with How to Brew - By John Palmer

Then look at this post it will give you plenty of info to get started. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/548097-post3.html (it covers both equipment and ingredient starter kits)

More kit info https://www.homebrewtalk.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=25

Also if you have specific questions, use our search function first, to see what's already here, more than likely the question's been asked a million times. If you have a specific question after that let us know...but most of the general questions a beginner asks has been answered already.

This has plenty of tips and trick as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/stone-cold-lead-pipe-lockd-n00b-advice-54362/

And here's the wiki

Main Page - Home Brewing Wiki

Welcome to your new hobb...er...OBSESSION!

:mug:

I don't know where you live, but my LHBS in Boulder CO has a kit that was (I think) $75, and with a $30 beer kit, the only other thing I needed was bottles. Of course I also got an auto-siphon, a brew kettle, and a couple other toys that cost me a few bucks more.

The kit had a hydrometer, capper, 6.5 gal fermenter, 6.5 gal bottling bucket, one lid, airlock, hoses, bottling wand (I think), sanitizer, and probably one or two other things I may be forgetting.

I looked around, and collecting the same stuff from hardware stores or other places would have cost me about the same, and the guys there were very helpful with some tips for a first timer.

Bottom line: if you have a Local Home Brew Store, stop in and see if they can answer some of your questions.

Bottom line: if you have a Local Home Brew Store, stop in and see if they can answer some of your questions.

Sorry, I gotta say nay on that one. This site and the links it provides is your best initial source. You can only trust the local Homebrew store after you know a little bit yourself. They are not all fonts of wisdom. Learn some basics here, THEN go to your local store. Armed with a little knowledge from here, you will soon know if they are blowing smoke up your rear end. Most stores are honest and trustworthy, but you can't afford to be taken advantage of by a bad one.

Sorry, I gotta say nay on that one. This site and the links it provides is your best initial source. You can only trust the local Homebrew store after you know a little bit yourself. They are not all fonts of wisdom. Learn some basics here, THEN go to your local store. Armed with a little knowledge from here, you will soon know if they are blowing smoke up your rear end. Most stores are honest and trustworthy, but you can't afford to be taken advantage of by a bad one.

Yeah, some of the stories we hear on this site really point this out.. You need to either go to a store with a great reputation, and staff, or go armed with some knowledge. Some of the info store owners have/believe in are a bit out dated, or plain wrong.

Even just looking and reading about the starter kits and knowing what the price can help you out if you go to a homebrewshop...

Parker36- Yeah, I go to Hop To It. It's the only LHBS I've ever been to, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but so far they've all been pretty nice and helpful to me.

Back